Not sure if I agree with my doc...what do you think?

I had my son (who is 1 1/2) at the doctors this morning. He has severe diarreah, like 4-6 times per day...and it's watery. It is making his bottom really red. We are treated that with Butt Paste. But, last night he pooped this green mucousy thing. That worried me. Also, we have trying to pump the liquids...but he's not too intrested. He also has a decreased appetite...but is still eating some. The doc says that he's fine, and not dehydrated. I am glad for that...the the diarreah is crazyness! The doc thinks that his stuffy nose is draining into the back of his throat, to his tummy and making it upset...which is in turn causing the runny poo. I just dont beleive that that reason would cause that much diarreah! What do you guys think? Has this happened to any one elses child?

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That can happen, but the stomach is designed to handle mucus. He may have just gotten a stomach bug. How long has this been going on? Has it been awhile? Have you tried cutting out diary? Does he have a cold in addition to diarrhea? if he's got a cold or a sore throat, he may not have the desire to eat or drink (because it hurts). Keep pushing the fluids, and just do what you can to keep him comfortable. Good luck mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Since the evening of Thanksgiving..so this is day 6. He does have a stuffy/runny nose.
    LoveMyKids0203

Comment by LoveMyKids0203 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• pump the liquids?? Has he started eating or drinking something new? my daughter ahs an allergy to soy. I can't have anything soy, soy milk, while nursing b/c she starts having diahrea and mucousy diahrea. I went off of soymilk for a while and it stopped but I tried going back on and it did the same thing to her. so I would look into an allergic reaction to something he is eating or drinking
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Hopefully, it's just related to the cold. A cold can get everything all out of whack. I'm guessing he basically swallowed a bunch of mucus from his nose/throat, and that's what you saw. It was probably a larger chunk than his tummy could break down.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Runny noses always cause my kids diarrhea, so in our case what he is saying makes complete sense.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Go with jello, popsicles, gingerale, saltines, plain chicken to get his stomach to settle down.
    Anonymous

• Runny nose and diarrhea can be (but is not always) symptoms of an allergy. Has he had anything new introduced to his diet lately or is there something consistent in his diet over the last week? Keep in mind, consistent doesn't mean "He's eating strawberry Go-gurt every day for breakfast" It can make "He's had diary daily" or "He's had products with x-ingredient in it each day."

Also, liquids are important to keep him hydrated, but also try to introduce foods that may help bolster his bowels, so to speak. Yogurts with active cultures (if you're not thinking a dairy culprit), bananas, etc things that "bind."

If you're not convinced your doctor is on the right path, ask to see a specialist.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Diarrhea can last up to 2 weeks and that is normal.... the most you can do is wait it out, encourage lots of drinking and have him eat foods that can bulk up his stool... banana's, rice, applesauce, breads, noodles, potatoes, yogurt, tea.... avoid anything high in sugar like fruit juices which can make it worse and avoid milk (except for yogurt)... lactose free milk works well.
    Mucous from a runny nose can for sure make diarrhea worse but probably isn't the cause... it's probably all related to the same virus. You probably see mucusy green diarrhea from the runny nose though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• A stomach virus could cause the diarrea, but so can cutting teeth. My daughter had real bad poo problems when she was teething. That mayb the cause of the lack of appitite too.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• About a month ago, my daughter sprung a pretty high fever and had bad diarrhea for about 5 days. Then she broke out into a rash. She had roseola. Her pedi thought it was the flu & i didn't think so, since there was nothing else wrong with her.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010