If chili calls for tomato juice can I use carrot juice instead?

DH bought carrot juice and although it's not bad, none of us ever feel like drinking it. I want to make chili and I don't want to leave the house for any ingredients, and this looks like an opportunity where I can use it if possible... what do you think? I read somewhere carrots in chili add sweetness and absorb the acid... would the same work with carrot juice?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• NO!!! Do you have tomatoe paste...even spagetti sauce would work.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Well it calls for tomato sauce also... maybe I'll just leave it out altogether. I don't think I have tomato paste.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• yes! You can use it. It is good in Marinara sauce too. I always add carrot puree to that. You still need some type of tomato product though. In this instance tomato paste would be best- just a small can or so. The tomato is an acid.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Whenever I make a tomato based dish, sauce, chili, etc. I add a bit of sugar to cut the acid...I know real Italian cooks add chopped carrot to sauces for the same reason. Assuming you do have some type of tomato going into the chili (sauce, stewed, chopped, whatever) I think the carrot juice will be fine...but how much does the recipe call for? I'm guessing you'd use less carrot juice than you would tomato....eh, it can't hurt, right? lol, GL
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'd save the carrot juice for soup or stew, but it would work OK in chili, too, I've had white chili before with no tomato. I don't think it had carrot juice in it though, - it was chicken stock. It might be fun to give it a try. At worst you could make soup afterward if nobody liked it.

Answer by Bmat at 2:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• not in chili
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• you sure can use it, but it won't taste like chili...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Use it in soup or in stew, but not in chili.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't in chili
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010