My son likes playing with girly toys and it drives my husband crazy, what should i do?

Please no bashing this is my son he is only 4 and a very sweet boy, he likes princesses I asked him why and he said because they are pretty, understandable, he says he wants a boy toy which would be the twilight edward barbie he saw when we were at the store. I dont mind it and i think that by telling him no it makes the issue bigger than it really is. I thin kids go through phases and it has to be hard him having everyone tell him no he cant play with that, even though he really wants to. If boys cant play with "girl" toys why can girls play with "boy" and how do you talk to your husband and family about just letting him be himself. Help i feel so bad that he is being given a hard time for just being himself

emleejanedom

Asked by emleejanedom at 12:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is just a man being a man.. OMG< they should not play with girl things.

My son has 3 sisters it is nearly impossible, his sister had dora and my son had diego..... His sister has barbies, my son has action figures.... The twilight thing I don't see as a big deal, the doll is a male.

Your husband is thinking way ahead of him self-like every man, well not every but most men. Let him be him, but be sure to influence the boy to boy things because school kids are not as understanding and you don't want him to be teased. Right now I think it is fine..... :) Good luck, and hey drive your husband crazy but make your son proud and a man...... My son will hopefully make a wonderful husband, father and so on.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You could tell you dh that it's been proven that boys who play with dolls (or in this case barbies) are better fathers when they have their own kids. It helps with the nurturing aspect of parenting that so many men find difficult.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Tell your husband to fuck off?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't have this problem at my house. My son had dolls and a kitchen, I had cars. We don't believe in girl toys or boy toys.
    Maybe look up info and show your husband.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My DH was like that at first... But I simply told him to get his head out of his ass... Boys and Girls are no different at this age and to push gender roles through toys simply reinforces archaic thinking and sexiest behaviors...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Ahhh sorry my son does this sometimes to but most kids he knows his age are girls and thats what he has to play with when he sees them never mind them I know my son doesn't even grasp yet the difference between boy and girl toys they are just all toys to him.
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 12:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If I were you, I'd tell my husband to shut the hell up about it. He'll get enough signals about what's manly and not in a couple of years when he's old enough to notice.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• at least he thinks the girls are pretty. that would be the same as me complaining b/c my daughter like tractors and boy toys but they are kids, different toys are going to interest them and he's only 4. Now if he is still playing with barbies when he is 10 that may be a different story. Hubby needs to get over it, it's no big deal, it's not going to make him gay for playing with a barbie if tat's what your hubby is worried about.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Make sure he has a mix of boy things too. Everyone needs to back off of the comments. They can be very damaging.
    Anonymous

• Tell your husband to find something worthwhile to care about. My daughter's play with lego's, transformers, cars, etc and it's the last thing that would bother hubby or I.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010