bill passes the senate 73-25, thoughts?

WASHINGTON – The Senate passed legislation Tuesday to make food safer in the wake of deadly E. coli and salmonella outbreaks, potentially giving the government broad new powers to increase inspections of food processing facilities and force companies to recall tainted food.

The $1.4 billion bill, which would also place stricter standards on imported foods, passed the Senate 73-25. Supporters say passage is critical after widespread outbreaks in peanuts, eggs and produce.

Those outbreaks have exposed a lack of resources and authority at the FDA as the embattled agency struggled to contain and trace the contaminated products. The agency rarely inspects many food facilities and farms, visiting some every decade or so and others not at all.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's good!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It is the big farms that are responsible for 99% of food safety issues, and ONLY big farms that can afford the high cost for the inspections this bill calls for. The end result of this will be vastly reduced produce availability at farmer's markets, far less availability of truly organic food, and higher costs (due to shipping) of inferior factory farmed veggies (loaded with pesticides and lacking in nutrients).

This is not just bad ~ it is an end run to eliminate small/organic farms and forcing everyone to eat gunk instead of real food.

Personally I will continue to grow my own. Those of you who actually think this is 'good' can eat the gunk, take vitamins to make up the difference, and pay the higher costs.

And, truth be told, I will sit here and LAUGH when you complain about the costs ~ and pity you because you don't even know how crappy the stuff tastes. My monthly grocery bill is less than $40.00 (tp, etc.).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm worried about the small farms. The people who sit at the farmer's market and sell their home-grown produce. And about the cost of foods. I've never personally had any problems with illness from locally grown produce, and we can't afford to have food prices jump. I don't think this bill is a good idea. I think in the long run, it's going to hurt people a lot more than it helps.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That's bad!
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I will be ordering another five year supply of heirloom seeds right after the new year, and I'm including a lot more grain. I already grow rice, millet, lentils, and 5 beans but I intend to try barley, some oats, and at least one wheat variety as well. As much as I would LIKE to have a paying food crop, I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay the almost 2 grand in fees it would cost just for some shitake or produce. The gubmint can kiss my American patootie (and the fees are only a bare estimate). Add to that the endless paperwork and it isn't worth it. I'll stick with non food items.

Those of you who think it's a good thing are in for a serious disappointment. Most of your food will now come from the huge farms where the contamination is already rampant ... and if you actually READ this monstrosity you'll note that EVERYTHING in it involves trace backs ~ NO prevention. I'm pi$$ed off to the height of pi$$tivity tonight!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Im very confused about what is going on.. I wont go through & read every word on the bill & am reading a few different things. some sites say its good, its only going to effect big farms.. but then some say its going to end private farmers & we will no longer have local, organic farms...
    So im most worried about "the little guy" ... The Co-ops, the farmer markets, the small farmers that support themself locally or backyard farmers that only farm for themself & may give out some goods to friends/family (not for profit).
    Ive heard keeping seeds will become illegal & seeds must come from Monsanto?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Well that isn't good at all farm.Fresh produce tastes so much better.I have never gotten sick when I have bought fresh locally either fluffy.I will be doing my own garden and or buying from neighbors..this is bs.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• they should. we should hold farms to high standards to ensure our food is going to be safe. I know some things can not be hlped. Say you have a working farm, but a mile up the road there is say a hog farm, if it rains hard and you are down stream from that farm, the sewage is going to make its way down to your farm, possibly contaminating you crop and is there any way to know it's contaminating your crop? we all need to be sure we wash our food properly before eating, cook our food thoroughly. Thee are some cases that just can't be helped, like the egg situtation but I'm curious to know if the eggs are cooked thoroughly would they then be safe. Perhaps people weren't cooking their eggs all the way. I know a lady who would feed her 1 yr half cooked scrambled eggs. She made my 1 yr old one day and I thought I was going to get sick and blankley told her that we cook our eggs all the way
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Tnmomofive, you won't even be able to buy/barter/trade with your neighbors.

My garden area will definitely be increased next year.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Where were all the small gov't senators to vote against this??

This is very bad .... and there are no small gov senators. That's the problem with Congress.
    I also read somewhere today that the House had passed there own version of the bill sometime last year, so instead of this bill going onto the House for vote, they are going to reconcile the two bills, much the same way they did the Health Care Bill. This is a deceitful tactic that aught to be illegal.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010