Would you prefer to raise taxes or cut federal services to help the deficit?

WASHINGTON – To ease surging budget deficits, Americans prefer cutting federal services to raising taxes by nearly 2-1 in a new poll. Yet there is little consensus on specific, meaningful steps — and a wariness about touching two gargantuan programs, Social Security and Medicare.

An Associated Press-CNBC Poll showed widespread anxiety about budget shortfalls exceeding $1 trillion a year. Eighty-five percent worry that growing red ink will harm future generations — the strongest expression of concern since AP polls began asking the question in 2008. Fifty-six percent think the shortfalls will spark a major economic crisis in the coming decade.

As for detailed cures, the poll shows little agreement — a problem that has long bedeviled lawmakers who often speak about taming federal deficits but seldom vote to do so. Given more than a dozen options for helping balance the budget, majorities backed just four: Reduce the number of federal workers, trim their salaries, cut overseas military bases and eliminate the tax deduction on home mortgage interest in exchange for lower income tax rates.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Raise taxes. Let the Bush tax cuts expire.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• who wants to may more taxes, we pay enough as is. As a self employed family we are taxed doubled what employed individials are. I don't think that is fair. I'm paying unemployment taxes, when if my business goes under I can't draw unemployment. I think congress needs to look at what they are spending and cut back on their budget. Why should individuals who held congressional sewats get to draw a retirement pay even if they only held a seat for a few yrs. It's the system
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Both- If my personal finances were in the negative column, I would cut spending and work additional hours, in order to increase my income- Common sense- Yes, it hurts and is a PITA to consume less and work harder-is the goal worth it???????? If not, quit the biotching-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I always prefer to cut taxes and federal/state/civic services because governments are notoriously poor fiscal managers, and they always have a huge padding of waste in anything they provide... government employees tend to make a lot more than the people paying their wages, which is just wrong, and their budgets spiral out of control very rapidly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Stop wasting money and cut services if necessary to start. Since our congress has behaved like teenagers with a credit card I think giving them more to waste would be a mistake.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Make cuts! The government needs to live within its means just as families do. I can't pay any more in taxes - it's too much already!!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

I agree...start with slasing their salaries and health care

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Just because they work for the government, doesn't mean they are rich. My family will be effected by this. And we are far from being rich.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Maybe they need to start slashing from the top. That's where all the money-makers are. We all know that's not going to happen though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010