Did I do the right thing?

I go to work at 7 am in the morning at 8:50 am my 10 year old calls me at work and says that she let her 13 year old sister borrow her necklace to wear to school, but now she doesn't want her to wear it because she is being mean and rude to her. I calmly explained over the phone that she would have to let her sister wear the necklace, because she already told her she could and that maybe next time she shouldn't borrow things to her. She then proceeded to tell me that she was not going to get on the bus and go to school unless her sister gave the necklace back. I ended up leaving work and going home, thank goodness I don't live very far, and making sure she got on the bus. I did not make the older one give the necklace back and the 10 year old walked herself out to the bus after I gave her a big hug. Did I do it right? Should I have done something different?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 12:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you did right. I would be pissed that I had to leave work over that though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I thought about getting angry while I was driving home, but would it have really helped the situation. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.
    badmoparmom

Comment by badmoparmom (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm not going to say whether I think YOU did the right or wrong thing, I can only tell you what I personally would have done. I would NOT have left work--I would have spoken to the 13 year old and ordered her to return the necklace, pronto. Then I would have gotten back on the phone w/ the 10 year old and let her know that she WILL get on the bus, come hell or high water. If I had to leave work to come straighten out some petty little crap like that, my kids know there would be hell to pay!

But you know your kids and if you feel that going back to the house to handle it was best, then perhaps it was. Glad it all worked out in the end for you.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think you did the right thing. You handled it just fine. I would NOT have made the older daughter give back the necklace, your younger one already said the older one could borrow it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Well you did the right thing. But they are going to have to solve their own problems. You have to find a way to let them come up with solution's that work.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010