38week appointment. what to expect???

first baby, i always have an idea of what they will do each week i go, is this the week they check you to see if you are dilating?

otoole

Asked by otoole at 12:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, but those checks don't mean anything. I plan to refuse them next time. I've had women who were dilated to 4cm for months, and others who were all closed up and high one day, and holding a baby the next. Don't put too much stock into whatever they find. They'll do the normal stuff, and do a check if you let them.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• they will probably check you but you can refuse. All they do is either get your excited or disappoint you, and you can get a lovely infection while you're there. Or the care provider can strip your membranes without asking.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• oh that kinda sucks, so why do they even bother checking?? i just want to know baby is thinking of coming out sooner rather than later. i supose every woman is differant.
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I had to get checked because I was high risk and they needed to know if it was progressing. I was at 5cm for almost 2mos. Really nerve racking. They don't just check to see if you are dialated, they check to see if baby is low, or high, and positioned properly.
    They will also check your BP to make sure it isn't high, and talk to you more about labor and delivery Also check urine for protien. And most important check babies heart rate.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There's no way to know when baby is coming. Some women drop early, I didn't drop until my water broke. Seriously, it's just a matter of when Baby decides to come. They can check baby's position without going inside. They can feel externally if the baby is high or low. The only reason to check a woman's cervix is to see if she's ready to push, and even then, it's not really necessary. Women feel like they're progressing when they hear that they're dilating. It's not worth the possible problems associated with cervical checks. You can also refuse them in labor. Each one increases the risk of infection, and it happens a lot, since hospitals aren't exactly clean places.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I had Oliver on my 38th week so they didn't get to see if I was dilating. My water broke before the appointment.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 1:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• In the hospital, at times it is necessary. When there are 5 other women in labor and only 3 to 4 nurses on staff, which happens at my hospital it helps others to know where each mom is at. Also if you go into the hospital with cramps, they will just send you home if they can't check you to see if you are progressing. It's important for medical professionals to know if you are progressing too.They will not hold up a bed for someone who stays at three centimeters for 7 hours unless their water broke.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• This week will be just like other weeks. They may do a vaginal exam, but if they haven't yet, they might not. I agree with PPs who say it's a waste of time. At my last appointment with my second at 39 weeks 3 days, I was dilated to "maybe a 1", not effaced, baby was still high...and went into labor spontaneously 3 days later. I've also known people who sit at 3-4 cm and 75% effaced for weeks. It means nothing, and it does introduce a risk of infection.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

*****************************************

Good reason to start having homebirths where YOU are the ONLY laboring women with one on one care. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010