The Birds & The Bees

My daughter is 8yrs old she is a little curious about babies and where they come from what should i tell her

wowiemommy

Asked by wowiemommy at 12:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• tell her the truth. dont beat around the bush. you can tweak it to where she will understand, but use the common and proper terms when describing genital parts and how babies are made.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The dreded question....I'm going to bump it because I have know idea what to tell my son when he ask me...lol
    So far the story I have come up with is that my husand and I asked Santa to bring us a baby...lol That answer is not going to fly...lol
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree, tell the truth. With my kids, I give a simple, but true answer. I don't go into detail unless they ask me to. For example, when my daughter asked me how the baby comes out of your belly, I told her they are pushed down through your vagina (she's only 4 so I kept it really simple). She didn't ask anymore questions, so we left it at that. Probably next time she wonders, she will want a little more and I will be happy to share.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 12:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes you should tell her, just like the other posters said, be honest and keep it simple at 8 years old if she doesn't hear it from you she is going to hear it somewhere else. You need to keep open lines of communication with her starting when she is very young if you want her to come to you with more questions when she gets older.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Go to the library and get an age-appropriate book with illustrations and read it together, allowing her the opportunity to ask questions as they arise. Don't be giggly and embarrassed; be matter of fact with the information and let her know that you're comfortable with discussing things any time she needs to. I did this very thing w/ my 2 daughters over the summer, so I know where you're coming from.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The truth according to her development and what she understands. Better you telling her the truth rather than her hearing it from someone at school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Be truthful and yet age appropriate. I know, "Yeah, gee, thanks. That's a help." ;) The reality is "where do babies come from" is a loaded ? for us because we, obviously, know. But for a kid, it's not quite as detailed and heavy. Start at the basic high level and answer her follow-up questions.

My 8 yr old is very much into science & has a basic understanding of genetic code - what genes are & what they do. We told him: "when a mom and dad decide it's time to have a baby together, a little piece of genetic code from the dad gets combined with a piece from the mom. When those pieces join, the cells start to split into more cells and a baby starts forming." He knows babies form in a mother's stomach and until the infant is ready to be born. He knows the mom contributes an "egg" cell & that the man has his contribution stored in the testicles. He was fine with that. He didn't care how the two parts come to together yet. (cont
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Now, like I said, my 8 yo is a science fiend. Not every kid wants to hear about genetic code and splitting cells. LOL!

My 6 yr old was content to hear "when a man and a woman (which she hears as husband and wife and I'm not going to tell her otherwise at 6) love each other, there's a little piece of the man and a little piece of the woman that join together to make a new baby. The baby grows in the mom's tummy until it's ready to be born." that's all she really wanted to know. Again, she didn't care what pieces came together. She didn't care how they came together. She didn't care how the baby got out of the mom's belly. So we let it go at that. IF she has more questions, we'll deal with it. When she's older we can explain sex, that you can have sex and not be in love...and still get pregnant, and all that good important stuff. But now, we stick to her actual question and don't freak.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I got my girls the American girl book "the care and keeping of me".THey loved it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Talk to her and tell her the truth. Go to the library, there are lots of great book for parents and kids to read together. The Care And Keeping Of You is a great book. I bought it at the bookstore. She loved it, and has referred to it many times, and then asks questions.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2010