Ham Bone

So i want to make a ham bean soup, i have a ham bone and navy beans soaking now what?? I could use some great "Make the home smell delicious when hubby gets home, its cold out there" Soup. please help

Vmahoney

Asked by Vmahoney at 12:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cook the beans as directed until they are soft. Then drain off the water. I drain and rinse several times after the beans are cooked, because it helps remove the chemical that causes gas.

You can use water or chicken broth, I like to add onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, carrots. Taste first before salting. ground pepper is good. After everything is well cooked, remove the bone and cut up any meat.

Answer by Bmat at 12:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I usually make my stock from the ham bone and onions and spices letting them simmer for several hours or sometimes an entire day.. I then remove the bone and I then add in carrots celery and beans and chunks of ham, simmer until I can't take it anymore.. salt pepper to taste. I also use a similar stock to make pasta e fagioli and add in pasta of course :-)
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Black bean tortilla soup with ham....all recipes. Add fresh cilantro and pour over rice.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• cook your ham bone until what ever meat falls off then add your beans season to taste. you could put little garlic some onions what ever
    you like
    groover

Answer by groover at 11:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I cook the ham bone for an hour, add the beans, chopped onion, garlic, crushed hot peppers, grated black pepper and let it simmer for 2-3 hours. Beans are done when they squish between your fingers. Pull meat off the bone, add 3 T butter and simmer for 15 minutes longer. You will be a hit!!!!!
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• add chicken broth
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I like MamaJasmine's recipe ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011