My two year old daugther wont listen to me at all, what do i do?

LeesesMom

Asked by LeesesMom at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm almost 26, I still don't listen to my mom all the time. lol.

Really though, my almost 3 year old little girl doesn't listen to me either. haha
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Besides "Welcome to Motherhodd" take that deep breath and close your eyes and say to yourself this too shall pass. It does occur the "not listening" sometimes early sometimes when they reach adulthood. which is alot more common than we thought. But hey mama, hang in there and try getting down to her level eye contact and turn off the tv and music for awhile. God Bless.
    Vmahoney

Answer by Vmahoney at 12:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You can do one of two things in parenting: install the Voice Command Software, or not.

Children with the Voice Command Software installed are fearful, compliant, obedient people who do not grow out of being fearful, compliant and obedient even when they also appear to be resistant, rebellious and obnoxious... they just change who they are fearful of, and who or what they're compliant and obedient to.

You can either raise a child who does what she's told (by whoever is doing the telling) or you can raise a child who knows she can stand up for herself in the face of authority. You can't turn the former into the latter when it's convenient --say, just before they join the cult or neo-nazis or the Freedom Fighters/terrorists...

Check out Alfie Kohn's excellent book Unconditional Parenting for a thorough argument against even attempting to control children (rather than teach, lead or guide, or respect them).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My two year old doesn't listen either. It's so annoying when we are in public or at a friends and he doesn't listen. Makes me feel like a bad mom sometimes, but I'm glad to hear other people have this problem too. Lately I've been making him repeat what I say back to me. Me "bedtime in 5 mins" Him- ignoring me. Me "What did I just say?" Him "BEDTIME IN 5 MINS!"
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thank your lucky stars that she's not 3! That's when the real fun begins!
    Anonymous

• My 2 year old is incredibly obedient. Show him/her who is boss. A mothers love must be tough love. I started when she was 6 months old and it has paid off BIG time! You can do it, pick something and stick with it (time outs, swats on the hand, whatever you choose, my friend keeps a rubber band on her finger) Just think, one day he/she may be running into the street and you'll be glad you stuck to your word. Just think your kid will be 100X what they are now in a year! Make it 100X a joy to be around: ) Goodluck!
    HannahMarie219

Answer by HannahMarie219 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• oh, it's the beauty of parenting!!! mine is 2 and she don't listen to me. she acually challenges everything i say not to do!
    RenoasMAMA

Answer by RenoasMAMA at 2:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Ahhhh! The joys of parenthood. I have a 19 yr old son, a 10 yr old daughter, & a 17month son. Yes 1 every decade. Glutton 4 punishment I know. They've all been different n their temperment & attitudes. My oldest has a temper like mine. He had no hope when he was little. My daughter was easy. She hated me putting her hair up. She finally got smart & instead of taking it down b4 we left 2 go somewhere, she'd wait til we were well on our way then pull it down. She was pretty self sufficient though. My little one listens fairly well, depending on what he's doing. When it comes 2 water & dog food, it's a losing battle. I've pulled more stuff out of my toilet with this 1 then I ever did with my other 2. He pours out the dogs water & I'm constantly retrieving dog food out of his mouth. It's not that he likes it so much as that it feels good on his gums. He's cuttin molars. Just spat a hand or leg now & then & they should b ok.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010