Why do some people think they are so groundbreaking by challenging other people's religions?

Is it going to change anything? Are we all going to see the light? Isn't there more to life than arguing about religion? I think it makes the person look judgemental and argumentative rather than open minded.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't understand out right challenging or condemning someone's beliefs. That just causes a person to shut down and tune you out. But I am all about open discussion and sharing. There is a big difference between debate and challenging: between condemning and sharing with an open, loving heart and letting another do with the information what they will.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Christians are taught of the "Great Commission" in Matthew, to go out and spread the news of Jesus. Many Christians go out and attack others belief, and thats where its the wrong thing to do. We are not told to be judgemental, thats contradicting Jesus totally. I would prefer people to see Jesus through me and my actions than to fight with someone and tell them they are wrong, that will only push them farther away. I will not judge you or attack you because of your belief's and I would prefer not to be attacked because of mine, but if thats the way it is than so be it.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 1:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree with you. It is NO ONE's job to judge others lives and beliefs, it is their high powers job.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree, but ask the corollary question:

Why do religious people attempt to convert people who are not religious or who adhere to the wrong religion?

It's the same, yes?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Linda that kind of all goes with the origional post.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It all depends on how it is presented this goes for people who try to "challenge" religions and those who try to "witness" on behalf of their religion, how you word your statements can make all the difference in whether or not you come off as judgmental. And, though it may be rare, there are people who have had information given to them in debate forums and other types of religious discussion forums that have made them rethink their religious and spiritual beliefs and have been helped to find a path (or lack of) that fit their own personal beliefs, instead of trying to conform to the religion they had been brought up in.

Leanaidedanan

Answer by Leanaidedanan at 1:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Leanaided, I'm not talking about regular evangelism. I'm talking about people who want to just argue about religion thinking they are so groundbreaking and awesome for doing it. Talk about religion all you want.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think it comes out of a want for change. Many people see a need for change, they see a need for more equality, acceptance and peace, and they aren't sure how else to make that happen than to try and make people think... And this is their best attempt at making that happen...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Not sure what you are trying to say in your post. Most people on here defend their beliefs--whatever they might be. But not so that they consider themselves ground-breaking (that's the angle I'm not sure who or what you're talking about). After all, the 1st amendment has been around for over 200 years and more people of "other" religions (besides christian) or belief systems are exercising their right to speak up. A few holy-rollers try to force-feed others their own religious beliefs which, of course, only drives their victims further away. But, as I said, I'm not sure who you're targeting here.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010