Why do so many people have a negative opinion of the name amity

Every one has a right to their own opinion was just curious. here are mine

1. It means friendship which is a nice meaning.
2. It's a virtue name, no different then names like charity,felicity,prudence,patience,chastity,hope,faith,grace,honor etc
3. It has a similar sound as other names that are well liked like Emily,Charity,Amelie
4. It's rare so not every kid in a class room will have the same name.
5. It's very easy to spell and pronounce
6. It has a short sweet but pretty sound to it.

lastly i do get that some people bring up amityville horror, but really what 1st grader is going to be walking around picking up on that assosiation most people dont let seven year old watch 1970's horror flicks. and by high school you would think alot of kids wouldnt even have heard of the movie, i have but alot of my friends havent im 22.

Plus lots of names are from horror movies, and really amity has nothing to do with the movie just the name of the town. if you want to name your daughter charlotte and someone gets shot or murdered in that city would you change your mind?

ex of names from horror movies

Damien (the omen)
Carrie (Carrie)
Christine (christine)
Reagen (the excorsist)
Emily (excorsism of emily rose)
Gage (pet semetary)

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Baby Names

• I like it.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Personally, when I hear Amity, I think automatically of Amityville Horror movie...which is based on a true story.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Amityville Horror movie isn't just a movie, its an actual event.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yep, not gonna name my kid something that he/she will hear annoying comments about the rest of their lives.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think the amityville horror which was remade a few years ago with People's sexiest man Ryan Reynolds. I think it would be a great nickname when she's two, but honestly I would be worried about high school...and I'm being brutally honest here. Amityville Whore. I'm just being honest. my son is named Maximus.....I'm ready for him to get made fun of. Maxi pad.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Oh so that's better, it was only four. Actually, it was six people. It's the point that it was made infamous that you can't take away from other people. Ronnie De Feo killed his entire family. I have close relatives that live in NY near Ammityville and I'm sure the name would just go over smashing. Regardless of the meaning why name your child something that has a negative attachment? Emily Rose was a fictitious name, Amityville is not a fictitious name.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Eh....I think as far as virture names go it's one of the plainer not so pretty ones. I think maybe the T just makes it choppy sounding. I don't know lol. I think Amelie is absolutely beautiful and it flows more smoothly off the tongue. In the end it's your decision....if you love the name go for it! Congratulations on your litle girl! (assuming you are expecting a little girl with this question...sorry if you aren't) :)
    annabsmommy

Answer by annabsmommy at 1:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I personally would NEVER name my child any "virtue name" I think they're stupid as NAMES. I would never tell anyone that unless they were asking my opinion though. As you are. So the name in question is fine if you like that kind of thing. So if you love it, name your precious baby the name you love!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• rockabell.2009...you're not getting our point, it's not about the event or the people that died or anything, the point is why give your kid a name that's going to give them any trouble whatsoever just because YOU like it? our job is to protect our children and make their lives easier not harder. I've said it before...I would have loved to have named my daughter "Moonbeam" or "Sunflower" and my son "Titan"...I loved all those names but I didn't because of how they were going to have to deal with it. What ever happened to naming kids John, James, David, Kathy, Karen...I know some of you are going to say "oh...those are just to ordinary" but what ever made ordinary wrong?
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Rockabell, that is true, a name association can probably be tied to any movie characters out there. But not all associations are equal.I would rather have my baby associated to a fictional mermaid- Ariel or an ocean crab- Sebasitian than to a demon infested house that ended in mass murders. That is why we choose our baby's name wisely and carefully, and typically avoid names that sound like horror flicks to everyone for our sweet children.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2010