The economy, who is suffering and why?

Toys R Us, Best Buy, WalMart, Kohl's, gamestop, iphone....

All had lines AROUND the block.....for Christmas and in some cases when something new comes out....home being forclosed and you are in line for an iphone?? WTF??

If we were ANYWHERE near a DEPRESSION those lines would be SOUP lines....not XBOX KINNECT. new call of duty lines...

Have Americans forgotten what it REALLY means to be poor? to cut back? to be RESPONSIBLE???

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• People are buying with credit .... BAD idea in this economy ... well, BAD idea anytime. We don't use credit cards. It keeps us within our means. Does that mean our Christmas will be smaller? Sure, but we don't celebrate Christmas for the presents anyway.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes, we have. We're all crying about how horrible things are, when things aren't really horrible. Despite the high unemployment, the vast majority do still have jobs, and those who aren't working ARE being cared for in some manner. Sometimes we all just need a little perspective. In a society with so much security we tend to forget what it really means to be bad off.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Have Americans forgotten what it REALLY means to be poor? to cut back? to be RESPONSIBLE???

---
    Who is this question aimed at?
    Cause the Democrat in you has got me baffled today.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• good point! Sure there were some great savings, but I slept in. I'd rather spend the money on bills, rent and groceries. I'm a sahm but we struggle. I would work if I had that option, but it's either work FT to make a profit and keep ds in daycare all day or stay at home and live on a budget. We chose live on a budget.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My first impression of this question is how do you know the people in line are people whose homes are being taken away from them? Have we taken a poll of the people in these lines to really know what their financial status is?

Right now, the national unemployment rate is 9.6%. So, for that group of people, the suffering is VERY real. I could go on and on about this. But, not in the mood to start a nasty debate.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• owl, I took a part time job just for the holidays. I am working 7 days a week right now so my kids Christmas will be the same as always and we get no extra BILLS ....a little sacrifice , one made easily for my kids...we went out on Thursday night to Toys R us and got 3 things....only things on sale...haven't paid full price for one thing yet and don't plan on it...

I hear ya with the daycare. My kids are both in school during the day and stay after until I pick them up at 4:30 (friday they are home with hubs) . I could earn extra money going back to managemnt..but they would spend so much time in daycare...NO THANKS!

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

Yes. Americans have forgotten what it means to be poor. They've forgotten how to BE poor. They are confused between "wants" and "needs." Let me tell just how many things you can actually LIVE without. We live without cell phones, cable, and a second car. Is it hard? Sure. But it allows us to keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• specialwings, I know people are suffering..trust me I know...

but when our country WAS in a depression...you KNEW it. There were SOUP kitchen lines, not iphone lines...KWIM?

No need for nastiness. We can disagree..

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• sorry hit post answer before being finished

Feel free to post!

sweet-a-kins

• GAL...

YES with the WANTS and NEEDS....

I had this argument with someone in my family! damn near broke and wasting cash on STUPID things...like 3 RED BULLS a day..umm, WHY??

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010