Kindergarten Talkaholic

So my 6 year old son won't shut up. I say this lovingly and not to him, but his teacher keeps emailing me because he is too busy being silly to learn sometimes. I am getting really frustrated because I don't know what else she wants me to do. She has asked me to talk to him, so I talk to him every day about being quiet and some days he does really well, and then some days my brain feels numb because all he has done is talked all day long. I am at a loss here, because I like that he talks all the time, he tells me the most amazing things sometimes, but I don't know how to parent him when I am not around. I have put into place penalties ( no cartoons, early bed time, no wii which just about kills him!) and awesome rewards when he does well ( lunch with mom, special treats, special activities) but it just doesn't matter sometimes...what needs to be done, either the teacher needs to learn how to deal, or my son needs to have worse consequences, looking for some ideas, so fire away!! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you asked the teacher "what are you trying in class?"

Things that we've done for my two at various points in their school career that have helped are:
    - move their seat. Even my 3rd grader who isn't really a talker any longer WILL get into oodles of trouble for it if he's sitting by the right friend. ;) HE can't help himself. So the teacher and I have established at the get go "don't let Logan and Ben sit together."
    - Make sure he's being challenged. Is he ahead in any subject? is the talking more apt to happen at certain points of the day?
    - are there daily praise/rewards she can institute? When he's had a good day, can she give him a sticker? Can he cash those in for something?
    - find out what *is* reasonable in her view for this age. I know my DS's 2nd grade teacher was off target on her expectations. DIdn't help in class but did help at home. :)

I keep running out of space in this box. Feel free to PM m
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No he does not, we have asked and he is a perfectly normal 6 year old boy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You asked? Who have you asked because he needs to be tested for these? I don't know about Aspergers but ADHD required a blood test to start off.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• What is the teacher doing to help him?

I have two talkers. One talks when he's bored. The other talks for the same & because she's so freakin' social she can't be within 2 miles of another breathing thing and NOT talk. My son, now in 3rd, is MUCH better than he used to be. He's matured. My 6 yo DD? Forget it. They get weekly behavior reports on a scale of 1 (behavior we're so happy with) to 5 (conference time.) DD is always getting 3s (needs improvement) or at best, 2s (satisfactory but could be better.) I'll ask her every day "What kind of day was it?" And she'll say, every day "I think it was a 1 day but you never know what Miss D will think." LOL! And on Friday - turns out we had a lot of 3 days. ;) Her teacher, however, knows DD needs to be challenged so she finds ways to do that - and when they can do it, Meg talks less. When they don't? She talks more.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Also, not every silly, talking, attention grabbing kid is ADHD or other. Some are just silly goofy kids who may need to mature more before they "get it" and get quiet at appropriate times. Some are kids that already know the material being presented or are picking it up faster than their peers. . . they get bored and they look to entertain themselves. Mine talk for both these reasons.

Have you talked to him about how his behavior is effecting OTHER kids? That had a big impact on my oldest (and it has helped my 6yo some too.) We explained that the chatter made it hard for their friends to pay attention in class which could make it really hard for them to learn and do well. That had a big impact on them. Somehow the idea that they're fun was hurting their friends really hit home with them.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thank you Idmrmom, I am of the same thought, I know that there are a lot of kids out there with Asbergers and ADHD, but come on he is just six years old. As insensitive as this sounds, I don't think that every kid out there had has those, and plainly said I think they over medicate them into dullness. I love his creative nature, it is who he is. I think you are right, it may be just a maturity thing. I am going to take your advise and talk to him about how it affects others around him. What should I do about his teacher in the mean time?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010