Introspection, self evaluation, meditation...

When you pray, you are experiencing introspection. You are voicing to yourself things which need to change, then evaluating the facets of your self which need to be polished in order to accomplish that change, and lastly meditating, focusing on that knowledge, and allowing a path forward to emerge.

If you believe that a deity guides you down this path, and to a place of arrival, do you solely credit them with the outcome? Or do you credit yourself with the capability to follow through to completion? A combination of both?

As so many different religions speak of "free will" (in one form or another), does that not apply to prayer as well? When 'given an answer', are you not responsible to act upon it, or not to?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 1:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess, for me, the way I see God isn't like some magical man in the sky doling out answers or wishes. I see Him kind of like an Eastern sage. Wise, patient, compassionate. But, like a sage, He doesn't give the answers, He merely helps me to find them for myself, if you get what I mean. There is no right and wrong, really, no you should or you shouldn't, no obligation or further responsibility. There is understanding. Its more about coming to that point or realization, of understanding, that "enlightenment", to borrow a term, where words become superfluous. So, to better answer the question, its a joint effort, I guess. I don't really pray, because I believe He has a policy of "noninterference", but I do take time to be introspective, to evaluate and I guess you could say meditate....

That probably doesn't make nearly as much sense as I would mean for it to, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• God is there for me, and I believe I'm guided by the answers to my prayers, but ultimately I'm the one deciding to follow a specific direction or path.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Personally, I don't pray, but I do meditate. Prayer can be a type of meditation, but meditation is not necessarily 'prayer' or looking to someone/something higher for answers. To me, meditation is looking for the answers within myself. My personal view of the concept of God is not one of a babysitter or someone to hold my hand--or anything like that, it's more abstract than that. It's a pantheistic view that everything is God or God is in everything (a similar view). Basically, my belief is that God is the same as the universe, not someone I can get answers from. I think the answers are inside me, and I just have to be calm, relaxed, and focused enough to see it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I always give God the glory. I see crystal clear of the future, the REAL future. The present is not the IT.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010