Should Property Owners be the only ones that are allowed to vote?

Every week, the Tea Party Nation hosts a weekly radio program, calling itself a “home for conservatives.” Two weeks ago, Tea Party Nation President Judson Phillips hosted the program and discussed changes that he felt should be made to voting rights in the United States. He explained that the founders of the country originally put “certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote.” He continued, “One of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners”:

PHILLIPS: The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.

CRAZINESS!!

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yikes!!! That would eliminate millions of renters. He iswrong.
    Is he the same guy who thinks daughters are property of their fathers and should not be allowed to leave home to go to college? I think his name was Phillips. One nutcase there!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've thought about this. This is how it was when the Constitution was ratified, and with good reason. Since property owners were the ones paying taxes to the government, it was the property owners who had a say in how that government was run. The hard part about applying that to TODAY is that the government is trying to take owners ship of all sorts of property. So as of right now ... I'd say no, it's not a good idea.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm not familiar with the "Tea Party Nation".... I would venture to guess they don't speak for the majority of people who attended local tea party rallies.. I am sure they have a following... Who doesn't these days... But you assume, speculate, and stretch to fit your partisan agenda... It's how you role...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• roll... My phone auto spell checker likes to kick my arse... ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

•  But you assume, speculate, and stretch to fit your partisan agenda... It's how you role...

what did I assume?? what did I stretch??

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• oh, I was wrong. The other guy is Doug Phillips. A Christian Patriarch.

But this guy is still wrong!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Unfortunately, numerous major conservatives have advocated for rolling back the voting rights of Americans. Supreme Court justice Anthony Scalia, Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX), Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA), and Sen.-elect Mike Lee (R-UT) have all advocated for repealing the 17th Amendment, which would end direct election of U.S. Senators and return Senate elections to the purview of state legislatures.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes, I think only property owners should vote. I also think those who pay no taxes should not be able to vote. What we have now is a big pool of "takers" that keep voting to take from those who have earned. Read Atlas Shrugged.
    MidwestMama55

Answer by MidwestMama55 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That's a ridiculous and preposterous idea.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010