Despite the smaller population of Atheists in this country...

do we also have the right to express ourselves? even if it is on a offensive billboard sign?
Does your exposure here to Atheists help you understand them, or do take it on a person to person basis?
Or do you paint all atheists as the minority group in America who really should just be quiet?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• People DO have the right to express themselves, but they don't have to be tacky to do it. And that goes for people of ANY religion.

And yes, I am Atheist as well.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't believe any "group" or religion should be overly active to try to persuede others to believe what you believe to each their own. My mom is an atheist however I am more spiritual but I think if there can be "GOD" signs, why not be other signs.. of course believing in God is just more widely "accepted" for some reason.. I take everything on a person to person basis in all areas of life.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Everyone has the right to express theirselves. i think the billboard it too much. i don't really understand it but that is your choice. Just like being Catholic is my choice.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree with you memigen
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I also doubt the atheist billboard will make much of an impact on the beliefs of others who are already a part of a belief system just as their signs do not have much effect on Atheists.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• This is America, and one thing we are entitled to is freedom of religion,and I guess that means,also freedom from religion,if you so choose.I have no problem with Atheists voicing their opinions, in fact, I used to work with an Atheist,and she and I were very close friends. She respected me,and my rights, and I respected her and her rights. It's when it becomes offensive I have a problem with. And, yes, I'm including Christians, and the Westboro Baptist Church is foremost in my mind when I say that. They no more represent God, or Christianity anymore than a rabbit! If you are confident in your beliefs, you won't be quiet. And,there is no reason to. Everyone should be able to voice their beliefs without being bashed, offending anyone else, or feeling they have to be quiet.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Do you have a right to express yourselves? Yes.

even if it is on a offensive billboard sign? Yes.

Does your exposure here to Atheists help you understand them, or do take it on a person to person basis? It's not that hard to understand a-theism.

No, you don't have to be quiet, but I expect you to not try and silence me. (which is what many atheists are trying to do).
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Memigen said:
    "People DO have the right to express themselves, but they don't have to be tacky to do it. And that goes for people of ANY religion.

And yes, I am Atheist as well. "
    ***********

I agree. There is no need for that.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• "No, you don't have to be quiet, but I expect you to not try and silence me. (which is what many atheists are trying to do). "

How so?

sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You have the right to expression, sure. We don't have the right to not be offended. Although it takes quite a bit to offend me, personally. You have the right to your billboards, though, just as we have the right to ours. If people want to complain about an Atheist sign, they should only do so after reconsidering any of their religious signs, for to complain about one sign over another would be hypocritical, I think...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010