Renting>>I'm not even sure if this is in the correct catagory

Ok I'm venting, but I would like to know something. Long story short: we are renting out a second home we own and they were supposed to buy it at the end of the year, but now they don't want to. I asked what went wrong and she said it is b/c the basement (which is unfinished) is dirty, and they want it cleaned. There is nothing down there but her washer, dryer, and the water heater! and they want us to get them a stove and fridge. Now just to let you know when the rented we told them they had to get their own. My question is, should I get them the stove and fridge? I mean I guess I could buy it but they sure as shit can't take it if they aren't buying it! I'm not going to get it b/c they would. It's not ungeard of for a renter to buy their own appliances, is it? I mean they knew, and they have them it's just their stove sucks so she said they need a newer, better one. I'm so aggervated I just told her we were selling the house in January so they needed to do what they needed to do. I almost hung up on her! I'm so disgusted!

lovemybaby283

Asked by lovemybaby283 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• IF thier planning on buying they should buy there own. As for the basement they lived in the home so any mess they have in that home they should be cleaning it up. If they don't want to do it then let them know your putting the house in the market and give them a certain amount of time to move out. I hope that you had a contract with them so legally any damage done you can go through the process of filing charges against them.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 1:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have NEVER heard of a renter having to buy their own appliances....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Good for you in not giving in to their very unreasonable demands!! It sounds like they want something for nothing, and are using these requests as bargaining chips. I think they're jerks.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've heard of renters having to buy the upgrades if they didn't like what was in the place, but to buy them BEFORE move in - except washer and dryer - unheard of.

Let them leave, put the house on the market. As for the basement being dirty, while they live in it - it is up to the renter to keep it clean.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010