Am I wrong to be mad?

My DS is sicky. I made him an appointment 2 days ago, but they're booked until tomorrow. Which is when his appointment is. My Mom keeps telling me that I need to get him to the Doctor like NOW. That i'm neglecting him and all this other crap. He has a slight cough, no fever, I think he may have an earache cause all his teeth are coming in at once. I honestly don't think it's something we can't wait for the appointment tomorrow. My Mom does. She is telling DH and I we're bad parents and that she never let her kids suffer yadda yadda... Umm? I HAVE an appt for him! Am I wrong for not taking him to walk-in clinic TODAY and NOT waiting for his appt tomorrow? My Mom seems to think so. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Eh if he's not running a fever I wouldn't worry about it. If my mom called me a bad mother for that (and she wouldn't have room to talk), I'd tell her to kiss my rear.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think your mom is over reacting . YOU are the Mom and she needs to know this and LEARN this. GOod luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you're not concerned enough to bring him in you're probably right. After all you are the one that takes care of him when hes sick.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think if those are his only symptoms, he's sleeping good, and not having trouble breathing you're fine to wait for the appt. If you think he is uncomfortable or in pain give him some children's medicine. I guess maybe I'm more laid back than some moms, but I there is no need to be an alarmist either when your LO has a cough. Hope he feels better soon!!
    annabsmommy

Answer by annabsmommy at 1:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I am sure you know your child well and when to take him in maybe she just has a past guilty conscience or something
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 1:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree. If he's teething, has no fever and is not having trouble breathing I would not take him in right away (or maybe at all). The cough may just be from the added saliva from teething. Even if he has something like RSV, there is nothing they can do about it anyway. In my opinion, your baby just needs some TLC and your mother needs some pills.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You are his mother and you know him, if he isn't running a fever and he just has a cough and possible ear ache like you said then I would be on the same page as you and not take him in until his app. (you take him to walk in and you would only expose him to more severe sicknesses anyhow) your mom needs to keep her mouth shut about calling you bad parents, I would stop talking to her until she can respect you two as parents. I would give him tylenol to help with the ear ache and teething but other than that there isn't a whole lot more that can be done.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm sure he's fine. I am not one to run to the doctor. But if my child is sick and I call the doctor, they ALWAYS see me that same day. I never heard of having to wait 2 days for a sick visit.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Your mom is being unreasonable. If your doc thought it was a life or death situation, they would have told you to go to a walk-in clinic if they couldn't see you right away. If you thought it were critical you would take him, your mom is being a big jerk.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If he doesn't have a fever and he not overly uncomfortable...tell her thank you for your concern but we'll handle our son.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 2:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010