How can I get my 5 year old to eat more vegetables?

My five year old daughter hates vegetables... the only thing she will eat is corn and cucumbers, does somebody know how i could get her to eat other things?

Cynthia90278

Asked by Cynthia90278 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• start with fresh fruit - fruits and veggies have the same nutrients based on color - so dark skinned fruit has same vitamins and minerals as dark colored veggies - the same with light colored fruits and veggies - i would recommend oganic if at all possible - organic produce is grown to max ripeness for maximum nutrient content - produce that is picked early and allowed to ripen on the store shelf does not get the full nutrient content that our bodies need -

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 5:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Tell her she can't have anything else on her plate until she eats her veggies. That what we had to do with my nephew and now he likes them.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 6:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Make her start taking a 'no thank you' bite of everything on her plate. eventually start to eat more of them herself. It's a control thing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Mine love to eat veggies(raw)dipped in ranch dressing. If they still won't eat them...hide them! Jerry Seinfelds wife wrote a good book about that. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. You cook the veggies and puree them down and add them to foods and sauces. There are different veggies for different foods so they cannot detect the color and the taste.
    Adria71

Answer by Adria71 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Have them eat their veggies first before they get the rest of their food. My DD hated veggies when she was younger. We started doing that at a young age and then she was highly motivated to eat them so she could get to the stuff she actually liked. She is ten and eats a variety of veggies now.
    mykidzmom-1

Answer by mykidzmom-1 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My DS loves to dip in ranch. He loves salad, baby carrots, broccoli, cauilflower, peas corn. He will dunk them in ranch. He will eat the brocolli and cauilflower raw or cooked. I will cook them and add a little of butter. I think also starting early eating veggies and them seeing you eating helps. I also make him try new veggies like squash, sweet potaotes with brown sugar and butter. He will eat both of them now.
    charrae129

Answer by charrae129 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My best policy is to feed them to kids early... but since you are past that point and have probably given her other foods that she she's more into... I'd suggest making them fun... like "ants on a log".... celery with peanutbutter in the middle and raisin's on top!
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 9:02 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Puree small amounts and mix it in with something like speghetti sauce... because it's a small amount it doesn't change the taste and she's getting more veggies then she realizes :)
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Does she like cheese sauce or dipping sauce? My sil used to put cheese sauce over veggies (especially the ones she did not like) for my nicece and that helped her to eat them. My kids love to dip veggies into dip, salsa, ranch dressing. Have you tried adding veggies to things? Like puree carrots up and mix into spaaghetti sauce, or other foods? There are a few cookbooks out there on "hiding" veggies into foods (I think Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote one). V-8 juice has the veggie/fruit juices - has she tried that?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• There's a book out by Jerry Seinfeld's wife for just exactly this problem. Sorry I can't remember her name or the name of the book right now. She makes purees and puts it into everything from pasta to brownies and cake.
    KidsHelper

Answer by KidsHelper at 1:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008