Why don't you just become Catholic?

I don't understand why some Christians can't baptise their children when they are infants like they do in the Catholic church. It seems like some Christians are afraid for their babies who could , or what if , they died before being baptised. If you are fearful of that, my question is why don't you just become Catholic? It's all Christianity right?

FishingMama

Asked by FishingMama at 5:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• FishingMama: infant baptisms are not in the bible. Jesus was taken to the temple and dedicated. Hannah took Samuel to the temple and he was dedicated. Jesus was baptized when He was an adult. After we become Christians is when we are to be baptized. If a baby is not baptized as an infant and something happens.. it will go to heaven.

No it's not ignorance to ask a question when u don't understand.. the only way we can learn from each other is to ask questions. It's ignorance to make assumptions and not ask questions. Once we get an answer we may not agree with the answer but at least we'll have the answer.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If i remember correctly in the church i grew up in all children (12 and younger) automatcially get to go to heaven and once they come of age they then have to choose to accept jesus. but thats just what i remember from my youth hth
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• idk, im catholic, i dont question things, just go with the world's flow and accept it...
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• You can't just "become catholic" -- their beliefs are very different! For instance, when I need forgiveness for my sins, I go straight to the Lord and repent. When Catholics need forgiveness, they go to their priest who goes to God for them.
    Lots and Lots of differences!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Wow, I feel all children go to Heaven....Until they reach the age of accountability it is when they know the different between good and evil.
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 5:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• to christyg

Is it just the rituals that are different or are the teachings different? Isn't it all the Bible?

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 5:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• HA; Catholics go to God for repentance of sins: For catholics there is a thing called mortal sins and venial sins, only mortal sins need to be forgiven by God through a priest. (According Catholic beliefs) Although that is NOT the point of the OP question.

Questions like "Why don't you become Catholic" is what I view as ignorance. many don't realize that Lutherans, Anglicans, Episcopalians, Methodist, and Orthodox Christians baptize people of ALL AGES including infants. (There maybe more, but that's all I could think of right now)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• getyoung some Mommies truly believe that their babies aren't going to Heaven, how sad is that.  I seriously doubt that Jesus said children are going to go to hell because they didn't accept him in their hearts. There has got to be a Bible verse that supports that.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 5:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Is it still considered IGNORANCE if the reason I am asking questions is BECAUSE i don't understand?!

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 5:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• why don't you talk to a priest to get some answers?
    Anonymous