Those who support Obama's Stimulus and the call for 'Green Jobs'~Does this fall under the "Responsibility" category? Or is it the "Accountability" category?

The[Obama] administration has awarded more than 179,000 “categorical exclusions” to stimulus projects funded by federal agencies, freeing those projects from review under the National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA. Coal-burning utilities like Westar Energy and Duke Energy, chemical manufacturer DuPont, and ethanol maker Didion Milling are among the firms with histories of serious environmental violations that have won blanket NEPA exemptions.

Even a project at BP’s maligned refinery in Texas City, Tex. — owner of the oil industry’s worst safety record and site of a deadly 2005 explosion, as well as a benzene leak earlier this year — secured a waiver for the preliminary phase of a carbon capture and sequestration experiment involving two companies with past compliance problems. The primary firm has since dropped out of the project before it could advance to the second phase.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They see such energy companies as evil republican corporate monsters.

That's because they are an easy target. A picture of a smoke stack next to a head line about pollution is easier to sell than a picture of a glass of milk and a complaint about a dairy monoploy. You'd actually have to read the article about milk to understand the issue.

Laziness isn't relegated to liberals though...it's an equal opportunity employer.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think it falls into the stupidity category. Even Gore has now admitted that ethanol was a stupid, costly policy.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Hope category.

Hope it works, hope they don't poison us, hope they put principles before profits, hope they make a campaign donation in the future...
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• As with TSA and molestation, it's not, when the gvt does it, this is not blatant discrimination, when the gvt does it...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I beg to differ (but you'll probably ignore this post too).

Upshe, I will say, you and sisteract for the most part are reasonable people. But you will not see many progressive liberals on here taking issue with it. But I don't consider either of you to be progressives.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• But you will not see many progressive liberals on here taking issue with it. But I don't consider either of you to be progressives.

Answer by Carpy

Fair enough. I am also disappointed to see only posts from right leaning CMr's.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I am too upshe, I wish more people would open their eyes a bit more, but head in the sand seems to work for many.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I wasn't a fan of the stimulus, hoped for more infrastructure projects. I do support pushing for 'green' jobs and policies. The fact that ObamaCo is allowing so many exclusions for this and health care just proves to me that he is a corporatist and SSDD.

More change I can't believe in.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Just a quick note.
    Those smokestacks are emitting steam.
    The article is a bit of an alarmist, but it is very common for someone who knows nothing of the power industry to photograph steam and label it as pollution and complain. big puffy clouds is what you see there.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I understand.
    Really I do.
    However, when it comes to Energy and these well known companies, ALL politicians are getting greased. they all get some form of a kickback and the corporations get favors returned regadless of party affiliation. I will agree the Obama thing with green jobs was all just a lie, but the waiver issue was out in the open about 2 years ago and Duke, and a few others knew they would get a pass.
    If you watch FBN and the tickers with the Energy stocks, the ones with the passes rumored about were the ones going up a little bit by little bit EVEN when Cap and Trade was a hot issue looking to be passed.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010