Something weird....??~~!!!

I have noticed something the last couple months that kind of weirds me out and I am not sure if its common or just a phase or what but My son ( 3 years old ) repeats certain things and gets very upset if you don't answer him - ex: at my moms he plays with the toys she has for him and every time we go there, he gets the same 2 toys and goes "mom, do I have both of them?" at first we thought he was learning Both or two of things but he will ask each one of us there at least 20 times in the 3 hours we spend there and it happens every time-if you say I am not sure honey, ask your Papi - he gets very upset until you answer him - he is asking very seriously also - another thing is each morning in the same spot, he asks me the SAME question : Mom, can we Keep ( our new kitten ) at our house? I mean, Literally in the same spot on the highway before the bridge, so not before an animal shelter or around cats but it just kind of weirds me out - he has several "quirky" things like this but if you dont' answer he gets very upset and seriously.. why the need to REask the same thing over and over? we are not making a big deal of it but is this not weird??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son (who is now almost 6) did very similar things. He would repeat certain things, he would insist on certain things in a certain order, he was very insistent on routine! We've worked hard with him to adapt and adjust (his pre-K teacher last year and his Kindy teacher this year have been HUGE helps!); and he seems to have outgrown a lot of these behaviors!
    One thing to research, and maybe ask your pediatrician about is OCD. Some children experience this, and a lot of toddlers go through an OCD-like phase.
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Some kids that age do quirky little things. When he starts to repeat himself, just say, "yes hon, you said that already"- and redirect his attention to another subject. As for the bridge/kitten scenerio, I'm stumped. Something about that route must make him think about his kitten. I wouldnt get too worried at this point unless you notice other "faults" in his social skills. Then you may want to get him tested.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think he's just reinforcing it in his mind. Both my older kids (now 12 and 8) used to ask a question and then repeat it in a whisper...e.g. "Are we going to the store?" (are we going to the store?)...which I always thought was weird.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• my dad wishes i did this because i would ask him something then i would have a confused look on my face and ill ask him "did i just ask you something? i cant remember" lol i still do that sometimes when im tired ill forget what i just said or asked
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 3:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My children do this, mianly my younger one. I'm not sure why they do it. She is bad about the question in the same spot on the road also. I think as PP said that specific area just reminds them of that object.

My youngest also calls home, "your house" or "mommys house". Lol. "Mommy, are we going to your house?"
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010