mother's things adult content

My husband lost his mother last year. He has 2 sisters and 1 brother. One of the sisters owned the condo she lived in. He didn't get anything of hers. And according to the others they didn't either. But somehow her stuff is laying all around their houses. My kids didn't even get anything to remember her by. We were told the other grandkids did either. I have just found out that one of the grandkids got her mothers ring, she wore it all the time. Things have been bumpy with his siblings about this. The one that owned the condo sold all of her stuff at an estate sale. She is using the money for us all to go on a trip the end of this year. Should I tell my husband about the ring or keep it to myself. If I tell him it's not going to be pretty stuck up in a cabin with them for a week. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I completely sympathize. We have had some close people in our families leave us & I went so far as to get an item of clothing from each of my grandparents that passed the "sniff test". These items smelled like them, so they are in a plastic bag that I can take out any time I want to get a memory sniff. We also have other momentos. It's imperative that you get a figurine, or some other knick knack that used to belong to her. It's a shame when greedy, inconsiderate family members dont consider anyone else besides themselves. If your husb. finds out you knew about certain items, and didnt say anything, it could come back to bite you. I wouldnt keep this from him if I were you. Hopefully something can be worked out. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'd let it go

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Are you trying to start a war?

Try to remember that your husband's mother's stuff is not his mother. She is gone, but his memories of her are not. Where the stuff ended up is irrelevant to that.

Consider 100% of whatever she used to have as 'things we lost in the fire' and move on. You have to have better things to do with the inside of your head than worry about this trivia.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• zoeyis- I'm not saying he wants all her money just one thing to remember her by . Have you ever lost anyone close. Wouldn't it be nice to have that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My father's sister went into their parents home and took everything they owned. She sold it at a flea market. Nobody got anything (but her, and her family). It made the siblings (all 6 of them) angry, but what could they do. I'm not familiar with the legal side of this, but I do feel that each child should have been able to get a memento prior to things being sold (and you know his sister kept what she wanted-that was apparent by the ring). I know it doesn't seem fair for you to have to keep it to yourself, but for the sake of family harmony I think I would.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010