What to expect with my 5 year old's tonsilectomy?

My 5 (almost 6) year old son is having surgery next Friday to remove his tonsils. What do I need to know about the surgery/recovery? How can I prepare him (he doesn't deal well with change, and he HATES needles!)? How can I help make him more comfortable, both pre-op and post-op?

TwinMomma122304

Asked by TwinMomma122304 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Talk to the anaesthesiologist about using a numbing patch before the needle is used, or if there is only going to be gas anaesthetic. Take him to the surgical suite a couple of times before he actually need to go himself. Ask the staff about the recovery, because that changes depending on what is used to put him under.

You might like to do a little research into the results of tonsillectomy --and why they fell out of style by the mid-70s. Before you actually take the child in, I mean.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks ~ we have researched the whole process, and after almost 6 years of my son being sick EVERY year, we feel this is the best course of action. I'm just looking for other moms who have had their child go through this surgery and what helped them through it.
    TwinMomma122304

Comment by TwinMomma122304 (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My daughter was put to sleep before they put the IV in so there was no needle that she knew of. Ask if they will do that for you. My daughter wasn't in much pain. SHe took the pain meds, was off school for a week, and had to take it easy for 2 months. They said no ice cream, because it causes flim. SHe ate ice pops, soup, and rice. No bread or anything scratchy.
    They gave her a snow cone when she woke up. Also, ask for an anti nausea med. Some kids throw up after being put to sleep, and they swallow a lot of blood during surgery. Throwing up would be horrible.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My 3 (almost 4) year old had the tonsiloadenoidectomy at 2 1/2. They put her under before any needles were given. They gave her a little cup of "goofy juice" and let me go back with her while they put her under....she was goofy and clingy and let them put the mask on her and she was under in no time. The only needle she had to deal with was the IV...put in AFTER she was under and taken out while she was asleep the next morning. She handled it pretty well and was eating normal food the next day. I think your son is going to be just fine =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Just an FYI....my daughter was constantly sick as well....HORRIBLE sick all the time...she's been GREAT for over a year now...just the normal every now and again colds =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• my friend's daughter had surgery (not a tonsilectomy) and my friend was more nervous then her daughter. Tell him about all the treats (ice cream, smoothies) he'll get afterwards and he'll be fine!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010