Breastfeed to Bottles - 3 mths old baby

Hi,

My baby is 3 mths old and I am going back to work full time next week.
I have been breastfeeding my baby from the start. I introduced the bottle to her (with expressed milk) from week 2. My mother in law would feed her with the bottle twice during the day. At night, I will breastfeed her. We did not have any problems with her taking the bottle - she would drink 2 - 3 oz at each feeding. However 2 weeks ago, my baby started screaming once my mother in law gave her the bottle..she refused the bottle and keeps pushing it away..we tried all kinds of bottles and teats (I basically bought all the various brands and treats and nothing works!). she is hungry though and when i give her the breast, she is happy to drink.
I am going back to work in 6 days and I am anxious. I don't know how she is going to drink while I am at work. I am currently pumping milk and everyday we try to give her the bottle but to no avail. Does anyone have similar experience? Please let me know.

Thanks

rah20

Asked by rah20 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say, she will adjust. Whent here is no other food option she will take it. Maybe she is growing teeth and her gums are sensitive and so sucking on a breast nipple is more soothing than a bottle nipple? Hard to say. Maybe you need to stick to one bottle and nipple too....so not to be giving her confusion of how they feel.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Are you there when your MIL is trying to give her the bottle? In other words, is she crying because she knows you are near and will nurse her if she makes a fuss? It could be she is just now old enough to figure out that she can try to get the breast instead of the bottle. The other thought I have is about the flow of the nipple on the bottle. It may be too slow if you are still using an infant nipple, so the milk comes slowly and frustrates her. You can try a nipple with more flow, or poke a couple of extra holes in the nipple you have now and see if that helps.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• "You can try a nipple with more flow, or poke a couple of extra holes in the nipple you have now and see if that helps."

Do NOT change the flow of the nipple! You WANT the slowest flow so baby does not prefer the bottle over the breast.

Your baby will either figure out that the bottle is her way of getting food while you are away or she will reverse cycle. She CAN go all day without eating and make up for it when you get home. You can also try giving her the milk in a sippy cup without a spill-proof valve instead of the bottle. Caregiver tips, baby sips.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There nipples on the bottle that meant to be exactly like the mothers breast i cant think if the name of it but it should work i never breastfed my daughter she was bottle fed from the start cus she was in the NICU for a week and my milk came in late but i did pump milk from my breast to give to her i did start breast feeding but she never wanted to latch on so i just kept giving the bottle to her but your daughter should be fine she will eventually adjust to the bottle but it will take some time for her to get use to it i would say while your at home try and give her the bottle more than your breast that way you can go back to work without having to worry about if she eating or not ..Good Luck :)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm not trying to start a nipple flow debate, but by 3 months old nursing should be well established and clearly the baby prefers breast to bottle. My thought was that now that baby is an expert at breast feeding and can get the milk out easily thru that method, it may frustrate her to be on a level one nipple that is meant for an infant. If she is only getting a trickle out of the nipple she may prefer to nurse where she can get a good flow once the milk lets down.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Mary, I've seen too many older babies develop nipple preference when a faster flow is introduced.

Rah,. NO baby... and I mean none whatsoever... will starve herself. She wasn't hungry. If you were in the room, she decided grandma was a nutcase trying to give her old stale cookies when the fresh ones (your breasts) were right there.

Go to work and DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. She'll eat when she NEEDS to. She might not take a single sip till you're home. That's called reverse cycling and is perfectly fine. She WILL NOT starve. 100% guarantee.

Grandma might go really nuts, though...

Answer by gdiamante at 4:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I didn't have this problem with my children. My son was bottlefed from day 1 and baby girl was just happy to finally get enough food to feed her (I didn't produce enough milk and it got less and less so at 2 weeks she was noty et back to birth weight and we were told to give her a bottle). With my daughter we did kinda have some trouble at first but it was more that she was so starving she was just kinda lathargic she didn't want to eat the bottle, she was used to no enough food. We had to flick her heels to keep her up and interested but once she got the hang of food she was hooked.
    Bottles that are more like mom's nipple, Avent is one. They even have a special system that has bags you pump milk into and they go into teh bottle kinda like drop ins. Simple, sis used these. Soothie also has some more nipple like bottles. They're blue, not the green. I've seen that at Kohl's and I believe Target.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2010