im flipping out here! i need some honest advice, is he going to go to jail?

try to simplify this best as possible. we live in florida, the state where he was in trouble was georgia. they knew we lived in florida, the court case had drug on for a year and a half and they knew all that time we had moved back. anyway, when it was finally acquitted or whatever the term is when the judge makes a decision, it was on november first. he got sentenced to probation. do not want to say how many years, it's a lot. anyway, his lawyer said he wanted to ask for georgia probation, because it's cheaper, and he might be able to check in on the phone or go up so many times per year. but he didn't want to ask the judge for any more favors, what he granted my husband with was favor enough. so we left alone florida probation. again, knowledge of where we were living. he was told to *wait* til he hears something.

today, his mom received a phone call from an officer that they can't find my husband, have sent people to his mom's house (that's the address they had on file, he hasnt' switched it to our address yet) and nobody answers (obviously people work during the day). neither me, hubby, his mom, no one has received a call looking for him. no letters, noone sent to his job. NOTHING. he was apparently suppose to check in on the 9th. he had NO knowledge of this. he is now down at the probation office and i am scared to death he's going to jail now for a mistake HE HAD NO CONTROL OVER! do you think that with a thorough explanation, they will understand and just slap him on the wrist? this was not his fault! he even called one day, left a message and nobody called back!

to make it more ironic, tonight is his grandfather's wake and tomorrow is the funeral. he will just crumble if he is unable to make it! please someone tell me im freaking out for nothing. and if they do put him in jail, can we fight it since he did nothing wrong?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I can't speak for FL or GA, but there is a family member who broke probation for drugs and she walks free today. Depending on the people's personalities involved he may just get a reprimand and no time. Let him know that from now on to bug them until he gets someone: even if he has to contact the sheriff where he was charged. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They could revoke his parole, it depends on the type of crime and how much he already served. I don't believe you can't fight a parole violation, it was his responsibility to make sure he knew what he needed to do. I'm sorry.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There is a very good chance he could go to jail - but there is also a chance that he may not. There are so many variables that I don't think there's any way to know for sure at this point. Good luck, though.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 2:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It is very possible that he will go to jail. The court systems don't always care if it was under his control or not....he should have changed his address, he should have known what his probation schedule was, he should have known.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I could be wrong, but if none of you got a notice I don't think they will throw him in jail if he's been good and done what he's suppost to. But I'm not positive.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If they catch him he will go to jail and will need an attorney to help him out, then you can go about explaining it in court.

Answer by older at 2:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would say depending what the original charge was, he will be arrested. If this is his first offence they will probably let him go. If they do, I would be making plans to move back to Georgia.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• He must have the paperwork from court, correct? The terms of probation are clearly typed out. It lists everything he's supposed to do and what he can't do. In most probation agreements you need permission from your p.o. to even leave the county. He's probably in violation right now plus how did he not know that he was supposed to check in with his officer? Doesn't make sense. Who screwed up?

Now it's up to his probation officer whether or not he's going to violate him or not. The quicker he talks to him, the better.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• well this was his very first probation meeting. like i said he was told by his lawyer to wait til he hears from them. they had his phone number on file, wouldnt it have been easier to call him rather than look for him at home? they cant judge if he's been good or not because this is the first time. he had his shit together, it's them that didn't. they were trying to say he shouldn't have left the state of georgia, when in fact his probation is in florida. so why would he not leave georgia? then he would be in even more trouble now. he called and nobody called back. he had no knowledge he was suppose to meet them on the 9th. the probation officer in georgia told him point blank to wait for more information.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• and his lawyer was fully aware on our court date on the first that we had driven from florida. i have a feeling the lawyer is mostly at fault here.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010