My toddler isnt talking....

He doesnt try to say any words at all like "baba" or really anything. All he does is scream/play "mamamamama". Hes almost 17 months. Should I be concerned???

He does know how to perform actions tho like "turn off" "close door" but thats all. Could it be because he isnt around other kids, or is he still too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well every child is different. You really need to talk to his peds doc. Can he say anything else? Try to get him around other children that would also help. Look where you live see if there is free programs.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• So, he is responding to what you say... so he's not deaf (which is the only real concern you'd need to do anything about...)

Lots of boys are late-adopters of speech. They're physical little folks, and don't have much need (in their own minds) for being able to express themselves more articulately. They are particularly affected by language-development inhibitors like too much TV, baby einstein dvds and the like... but Mamamamammamama is a word, so he is talking --just not much.

He may be one of those kids who just takes up speaking in whole sentences when he's ready. It is how my daughter learned to read: not at all out loud ever until she could do it fluidly and with variation of tone and pitch to be 'right' in her mind.

You could worry about it a lot and shop him around to a pile of experts, all of whom would no doubt have excellent means of removing a lot of money from your bank account...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If he is completely non-verabal than sometime between now and 24 months I'd definitly suggest getting him evaluated. There are many reasons children can be slow to speak - from physical issues inside the mouth to hearing difficulty to processing disorders. It could be autism. It could also be nothing.

I would talk to his pediatrician about a referral.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 2:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• talk to his ped
    get referral for speech therapist
    therapist will be able to give you a better idea of what may be case of late talking

my daughter got into Birth to Three (we did nt make enough to have to pay a thing, and speech therapist plus OT gave me answers
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There are some kids who just talk later than others. If you are seeing any other unusual behaviors, though I would get him evaluated by a professional. Does he seem to tune you out, almost like he can't hear you? Does he not respond to his name most of the time? Does he not seem to understand most of what you are saying? If so...it may be a good idea to talk to your pediatrician.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• my ds is 15 months old and chooses not to talk...i know he can say stuff but he just dosen't, most of the time he grunts lol but the thing he says ALL THE TIME is "i got it" he'll get a toy or something and say that...your ds may just being stubborn like mine is :) GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• He's still pretty young so I wouldn't worry too much yet, try having him play with kids that are just a bit older than him that do talk that might help him pick it up. I had to do that with my DD, who is 3 now and talking up a storm, because her brother has speech problems and wasn't talking so she wasn't picking it up.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• my cousin had same problem. he is probably fine. she tried vribing him with candy or something he likes . he started talking within i wk. try that. :)
    3jellybean

Answer by 3jellybean at 2:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Does your toddler have older siblings? My second son was slow to start really talking (he was over 3 years old), but it was because his older brother anticipated everything he would want to say and basically talked for him. Once his brother went to kindergarten, his verbal expression EXPLODED! He literally went from "choos" and grunting one day to "Hi mom, how was your day? I missed you!" the very next. (To my complete SHOCK!)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My son turned 17 months on saturday. He says right at 50 words. I would atleast ask your pedi if this is ok or not at his 18mo appt. My pedi told a friend of ours that goes there that she wants them saying 10 words by 18 months. Wether thats just her preference or standard practice i dont know. But it never hurts to ask!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2010