Rolling over from back to tummy...

How do I teach my 5 month old to roll from his back to his tummy? I helped him to figure out how to roll from his tummy to his back by helping him put his head down first and then encouraging him to kick his feet over. (maybe I didn't even help, and babies just learn this on their own) When he is on his back he has no interest in going to his tummy. He much prefers sitting, he has been able to sit on his own for over a month now. So he doesn't like laying down and prefers jumping in his excer-saucer. Tummy time is no fun, he doesn't want to play with his toys unless he is sitting or jumping. Maybe this is just something he will do eventually on his own. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

sheepishcanuck

Asked by sheepishcanuck at 2:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my LO but it does get better, just keep practicing and eventually your baby will learn it.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• my girl is now 15months ols i never taught her how to do it she just learnt on her own how to turn over n now she does it all the time to get up and crawl
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They will eventually get it. Not too much you can do. Just think by doing tummy time the next step they can be working on is gaining strength for crawling eventually.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They WILL learn on their own and in their time! Really!! Some learn faster than others. My first born was rolling from tummy to back by about 2 months old. My last one (just turned 1 year) didn't roll over from back to tummy until he was about 10 months! Seriously!! He just didn't care. It wasn't that important to him. He was crawling and still didn't roll over. :D

Keep giving the baby tummy time (even if it is only for 2 minutes!) Sounds like you are doing great.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010