my kid still hasnt learned how to put herself to sleep. help?

my kids is 10 months old i have tried everything. she just wont do it. When I let her cry herself to sleep she just screams for several hours until i pick her up. what can i do?

3jellybean

Asked by 3jellybean at 2:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician would tell you that it is too late to do anything. You are going to have to keep putting her to sleep. I don't know if this true because my seven month old doesn't put himself to sleep yet, and I haven;t found a solution either. He is a just a needy sleeper. Hopefully when he is older he will get the hang of it!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 2:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Hmm. I'd start by not waiting a few hours. **smile**

It's NORMAL for them to wake and they ALL learn to sleep long stretched on their own more easily when we parents get the heck outta the way. More sleep is lost trying to make babies sleep than would be if we paid attention to their own patterns, which generally will defy the books. That said... you might check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My oldest is 2 and still doesn't sleep all night, nor does he fall asleep easily on his own. I would try feeding the baby their bottle and when laying them down, rub their back. At 10 months they can lay on their stomach and you sooth them by rubbing or patting their back.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Let me ask how long did he or she cry before picking them up? And have they cried in the past and you picked them up right away? It's about the time they are trying to push it a little bit, my advice is even if you did things differently in the past is to make sure baby is changed, fed etc. put in crib. If starts to cry wait 10 minutes, then come in and change feed etc, check to make sure doesn't have a fever, and don't pick up at all, Just comfort and leave if baby continues to cry let them. And, it might happen a couple of times but it should get better after a couple of days.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I always nurse my kids to sleep / walk them in the carrier while I work around the house.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010