Anything I can to do help a 3 year old who worries all the time??!

I feel bad but he's already showing a very pessimistic personality and worries more than I think he should at 3.
He worries that we didn't unplug the christmas tree and we will have a fire ( as that was our explanation when he wanted to leave the lights on while we were leaving..
* we went to the store to get him a donut and he said, they won't have any more donuts, they probably are all gone and will hang his head in disappointment.
* we were drawing together and he says "i'm not good, I can't stay in the lines" we have to constantly remind him about practicing and trying as he gives up on things almost instantly.
* He cried this morning because there is snow on the ground and we shouldn't drive over it because it will get our truck dirty..
He's a "tad" dramatic in nature but its the worry that breaks my heart to see - we reassure and are a happy family so I don't really know how to deal with this because its really not my or my husbands nature..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have you talked to his physician about anxiety? My husband was like that as a little kid and still is. He is on an anxiety medication that helps. he has taken since he was little.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 2:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• He probably picked up the worrying from watching you or a family member or a tv charater worry about stuff like that. Just reassure him that what ever the situation is, it will be okay because such-and-such.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 2:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Also has anything ever happened to your son that was very traumatic? The reason I ask is because the main reason my husband was always worried and anxious stems form his dad leaving him at age 3 and never returning. Also my parents have fostered many kids with the same issues because of the situation they were in. only the one's who's situations were more traumatic. Usually ones who were with their parents then they got taken away or the parents chose to give them up. They were always scared that something would happen to my mom or that she would forget to pick them up from daycare. Also my little half brother lost both his parents at age 10 and for the 1st 6 mo or so after that he was always scared for me to leave him with someone or I had to go to work or to the store he thought something would happen to me when I was gone. and he was scared of getting in trouble thinking I may send him away (he lives with me).
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 2:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• nothing Traumatic at all actually and we actually have only had him babysat a total of 4 times since he's been born and that has been by my mom but every time we go anywhere together he always asks if I will be staying with him or if I run to the store and leave him home with Dad or vice versa he runs and says Oh I am so glad you came back, as if I leave all the time or something. I know Anxiety runs pretty thick in our family and we are in the process of getting him tested but I wondered if anyone had tips that have helped them besides meds for a child. thanks
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010