38 weeks and doctor said soft, what does that mean?

Went for my 38 week appt today. Doctor examined me and at first she had a hard time finding something up there lol, i think my cervix because she said her fingertips just touched it and said nothing is happening and its soft thats about it. My nurse started talking about inducing me and stuff if she isnt here by next week. Anyone else heard of this or have had this happen?

JessJos

Asked by JessJos at 2:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your cervix not only dilates, but gets softer in order for delivery to happen. Usually it starts becoming soft before dilation, but sometimes they just work together at the same time. If labor hasn't started and your cervix is not softening like it should, they might put a cervical gel inside to start the softening process before administering pitocin. So if Dr. said you are soft that's a good thing- means your body is starting to work to get your baby into the world! Congrats.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010