Wouldn't you be glad that I was THAT safe ??

I started taking care of a 10 month old baby boy about 2 months ago... His mom is young and just started college and so I watch him while she is in class.... She has never said anything about the father and I assumed he wasnt in the picture...

Yesterday morning she dropped him off as usual, didnt say anything besides CYA on the way out the door...

Well then around 1:45 there was a knock on the door and some guy who said he was the dad... said he was there to pick up the baby..

She never said anything to me about him getting the baby and it was 3 hours before she gets out of school... so I was like " Uhhh, hang on " and I closed the door and went and called her really fast... and they BOTH got mad that I did that....... SERIOUSLY, you are mad that I made sure it was ok that someone I never met, never heard of was there to take your child, and your mad because I made him wait 2 mintues outside the door, and you had to answer your phone ...

also it wasnt even the babies real dad... it was her new boyfriend !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• She must be really young and immature. You did the right thing.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• She is 20 and immature ( even though when i became a mom at 18 I was no where near as bad as she is ) ........... but she has already "forgot" to pay me twice... I am thinking I am pretty much done watching her baby anyways ( even though I hate not to see him anymore)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would have done the same thing. And, both those parents should have understood. How would they have felt if you handed their baby to just anyone who came to your door asking for the baby?
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• What does him not being the bio father have to do with it?

You did the correct thing, and she should learn a valuable lesson- inform care providers of who is permitted to pick up your child.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You definitely did the right thing! That is ridiculous and you were just looking out for the safety of the baby! She was the irresponsible one for not telling you about this boyfriend of hers that was going to pick him up!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• ObbyDobbie -- I suppose him not being the bio father doesnt really have anything to do with it... but it just rubbed me the wrong way even more that he just showed up said he was the dad, had an attitude because I just didnt hand the baby over.... and they just started dating a week and a half ago ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That could have been avoided by agreeing on who could pick up the child when you first began providing care.

That is actually a requirement in the state of michigan. You might want to think about adopting a policy like that, you'll have the info you need and parents will understand what is expected of them.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I thin you did the right thing.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would have done the same kudos to you!

Answer by older at 3:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Good Job!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010