solids??

how much does your 5-6 month old eat?? my little man usually has cereal 2 times then a veggie for lunch sometimes dinner..but he still wants to nurse all the time..so I think hes getting a little too much..trying to get an idea of what he should get..cause if I went off his cues he would eat all day..when he does have his solids its like 4-6 bites..

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 2:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4-6 bites is fine, Kim. You cannot go wrong as long as you always nurse first, solids after.... there is no such thing as too little solids in year one. Breastmilk needs to be the bulk of his diet... I'm talking 75% of it... till his first birthday. Solids are a treat. He misses nothing by not getting much in solids for now, but if the solids start replacing the breastmilk in year one you run the risk of shortchanging him nutritionally.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• At his age he should be getting most of his nutrition from the breast.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I nurse then give him solids like an hour or so after but he seriously wants to nurse after again and he has reflux so Im just worried he gets too much and obviously that does not help with reflux
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Do not wait an hour. Give the solids immediately after nursing. A bite or two is plenty. Johnathan got his first bite of food at 6 1/2 months. He got a few bites MAYBE once a week for the first few months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My most recent baby, 1 year yesterday, didn't start solids until 9 months. Like aehanrahan said, give him the solids RIGHT after breastfeeding, since his main food should come from the breast right now! That being said, my first born and fourth born are HUGE solid eaters and breastfeeders. He most likely won't overeat since you are breastfeeding. He will stop when he is full. My boys grow like crazy and eat huge amounts of food. Literally tons - enough to feed an adult at times. Which would explain why I can't find tops to fit me when I am nursing!

For now, keep the solids minimal, but in a few months, let him eat as much as he wants to, providing you have nursed first!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• One hour is too long an interval. IMMEDIATELY after; solids are dessert to the meal of nursing. Breastmilk is better for babies with reflux. But also be aware that reflux is often actually misdiagnosed; often the real problem is either overactive letdown or dairy in mom's diet.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That seems like a lot of solids for a 5 mo old, TO ME. As these ladies have said, nurse first, then offer solids, no wait in between.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010