birthdays

were not having a big birthday party for my sons 12th birthday because were broke and things are tight,an dI might have to wait another week before we can give him anything I feel really bad but I just dont have any money. I thought I would give him $100 or less and let him go buy whatever he wants with it. What are some thoughts on this have you had to cancel birthdays?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I stopped with birthday parties once they hit 11. I would just make the day extra special, nice dinner, go somewhere fun.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I had to push my kids birthday off before... yeah they are turning 2 and 3 but i still felt really bad for it.... but i talked to them even tho they were like yeah oh k..... I would explain to him that you have something going on and just let him have a sleep over with pizza and cake with his friends but he is old enough he might understand
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 2:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You can't do anything and you have $100?!?

I've never 'had to' cancel a birthday ... because I can make a cake for less than $5 out of ingredients I have always got in the house, and inviting people over to hang out, celebrate and bring gifts is free. Well, it costs a jug of juice, a pot of coffee and some paper to make decorations...

We never threw a birthday that cost more than $50 and we've never given our kids gifts worth more than $40 or $50, ever...

We gave up goody bags at 10. So, what else does this cost?

For $100, you could get pizza, pop, chips and some rented games or dvds for 5 of his best friends, and still have enough left over to give him a gift...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I am in the same situation. My little brother (who lives with me) just turned 13 on nov 24th and we didn't get him much and have not done a party yet. The family keeps wanting to know what my plans are but I just can't afford to do anything and I feel bad, I know the family will chip in if I ask but I hate asking. I only spent about $60 on him and he was fine with that. I think $100 is a lot for a 12 year old for their birthday myself. Maybe just Give him $50 to go shopping then have family and/or friends over for just cake and ice cream that is what I did last year for the same reason. you don't need to feed people and most people don't expect it.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 2:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• How exactly do you cancel a birthday? Do you mean canceling a party that was already planned?

make him a cake. Make him some get out of specific chore coupons. Write little I love you and Happy Birthday notes and put them all over the house. Make a date with him to do something special on a later date when you have some money.

The point is to show him that you love and care about him. My almost 13 yr old didn't really want a big party for 12.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I was saying $100 and that would buy a cake icecream something that he would like to eat and he wants games,they are expensive =[
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm not a creative mom at all in fact I dont think my kids would even appreciate those love you notes and get out of chores free cards. It is a awesome idea but just wouldnt work with my kids sadly.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Buy him only 1 game. or just give him the $50 and he can pick out his own 1 game or a couple games that are cheaper or something completely different.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 2:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010