Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


were not having a big birthday party for my sons 12th birthday because were broke and things are tight,an dI might have to wait another week before we can give him anything I feel really bad but I just dont have any money. I thought I would give him $100 or less and let him go buy whatever he wants with it. What are some thoughts on this have you had to cancel birthdays?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (8)
  • I stopped with birthday parties once they hit 11. I would just make the day extra special, nice dinner, go somewhere fun.

    Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I had to push my kids birthday off before... yeah they are turning 2 and 3 but i still felt really bad for it.... but i talked to them even tho they were like yeah oh k..... I would explain to him that you have something going on and just let him have a sleep over with pizza and cake with his friends but he is old enough he might understand

    Answer by mommadent at 2:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • You can't do anything and you have $100?!?

    I've never 'had to' cancel a birthday ... because I can make a cake for less than $5 out of ingredients I have always got in the house, and inviting people over to hang out, celebrate and bring gifts is free. Well, it costs a jug of juice, a pot of coffee and some paper to make decorations...

    We never threw a birthday that cost more than $50 and we've never given our kids gifts worth more than $40 or $50, ever...

    We gave up goody bags at 10. So, what else does this cost?

    For $100, you could get pizza, pop, chips and some rented games or dvds for 5 of his best friends, and still have enough left over to give him a gift...

    Answer by LindaClement at 2:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I am in the same situation. My little brother (who lives with me) just turned 13 on nov 24th and we didn't get him much and have not done a party yet. The family keeps wanting to know what my plans are but I just can't afford to do anything and I feel bad, I know the family will chip in if I ask but I hate asking. I only spent about $60 on him and he was fine with that. I think $100 is a lot for a 12 year old for their birthday myself. Maybe just Give him $50 to go shopping then have family and/or friends over for just cake and ice cream that is what I did last year for the same reason. you don't need to feed people and most people don't expect it.

    Answer by CarlieJS at 2:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • How exactly do you cancel a birthday? Do you mean canceling a party that was already planned?

    make him a cake. Make him some get out of specific chore coupons. Write little I love you and Happy Birthday notes and put them all over the house. Make a date with him to do something special on a later date when you have some money.

    The point is to show him that you love and care about him. My almost 13 yr old didn't really want a big party for 12.

    Answer by balagan_imma at 2:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I was saying $100 and that would buy a cake icecream something that he would like to eat and he wants games,they are expensive =[

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I'm not a creative mom at all in fact I dont think my kids would even appreciate those love you notes and get out of chores free cards. It is a awesome idea but just wouldnt work with my kids sadly.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Buy him only 1 game. or just give him the $50 and he can pick out his own 1 game or a couple games that are cheaper or something completely different.

    Answer by CarlieJS at 2:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.