Tell me about the adoption process.

I know that at some point I want to adopt. I really don't care from where, but the US would be ideal. Where do I start?

Asked by sunshine58103 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Adoption

• I think you probably start with a book like Adoption for Dummies, there are all different types of adoptions and all different relationships. Start with and you can at least get the basics of the process.

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 6:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There are a few great groups on here. I would join. We adopted this year, and it was quite a proccess. I recommend going to an orientation with the Department of Family Services in your area. It is free and you can ask loads of questions about fostering to adopt or straight adoption through the foster system. If you are thinking about domestic adoption, hit the library or and get a few books. There is no one right answer. It took me about a year to do the research for our family before landing on a decision... Best wishes!

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010