Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

who do i need to contact to get help with housing and rent?

im a 17 year old teenage mother living with my mom and step dad but we arguee 24/7 .im still in high school and i really want to graduate i do not have a job but is trying to look for one i want to stay in school and finsih but i just cant live here anymore is there anything that would help me with rent and still let me stay in school in Kaufman county or dallas area

Answer Question

Asked by proudmommy0016 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • I would look at why do you argue, is it a new thing since your baby, or was it like that all the time? Could you do some family counseling to get to the bottom of it. That's not a pleasant way to live, nor is it a good environment for a baby or little one. I would try to stick it out until graduation. I'm not sure you can get any assistance until you are 18....I haven't a clue though. Call your local welfare office and get the info and numbers of proper housing agencies though. You need to graduate, period. You have 6 months until'll fly by. Emmerse yourself in your baby and school, which may help avoid a lot of arguing with your mom and step dad. Trust me, it's natural to be 17 and argue with the parents...add being a teen mom to it, that's a whole other level of stress. Good luck!!

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • There are group homes (you may not be able to keep your child), and there is Job Corps.

    I assume that you are a Jr? Who takes care of your child while you are at school, or partying with friends? How do you care for her if you have no income?

    You really need to stay in school, and your lack of understanding regarding basic English proves that. Whatever you do, do not drop out.

    BTW- the teens section is for ADULT PARENTS to ask questions about their teens, not for teens to ask questions in... You should looks for a young mothers group to ask questions in, you'll get better responses.


    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • you can go to the dss office and file for fi. They allow you to get food stamps a monthly check and abc cards so the baby can go to daycare. They will also let you know where to go or if they can help you.

    Answer by mommyof2bbys at 3:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • ok im sorry i thought this was for everyone,! thanks for your help though

    Comment by proudmommy0016 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • CM is for everyone, just post your questions in an appropriate section, and you'll get better responses. Thats all.

    I understand your position (more than you can even know), but you don't have too many options. I moved out of my parents home when I was 17 (with my 18 month old daughter)... Its scary, and there are few options. If you're not careful, you risk her being taken from you if you can't provide a stable home.
    If you can work it out with them, do.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • If I were you, I would try working on my relationship with my parents. As a single, teen age mom with no job you need your parents support. If they are allowing you to live there I would work on that with them instead of trying to find public assistance. This may be hard for you and you may not want to have to deal with them but you have to grow up and realize that in your situation you need them. You need to finish school so you can provide for your child in the future.

    Answer by sue118 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Try calling your state's housing authority or hud. You can also try looking for low income apartments...the rent is based on your income...or just stay with you parents.

    Answer by Joyzap2003 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Don't worry about it Obbie Dobbie is just being mean. I had a friend who had a child in high school. Contact your local office and tell them that you are in need of help and tell them your situation. At the very least, you should be able to get free daycare for your child. Try to work it out with your parents, at least until you graduate. Get the help that you can though even if you stay with your parents

    Answer by JLS2388 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Geez, maybe her parents are asshats and they have never treated her kindly. Just blame the teen mom. And really, we have to assume that because she's a teen mom she likes to party???? WOW!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • ive never been the party type. and i dont see how tht answers my question.!

    Comment by proudmommy0016 (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.