what do you think of parents playing ronchy music around kids? like Marilyn Manson or Otep

my younger sister is pregnant shes about 2 1/2 months along, i let her watch my kids sometimes but when i go to her apartment to pick them up their listening to "censored" Marilyn Manson songs or "censored" murderdoll songs, i told her last time to not put that music on and her annoying little baby daddy said "this is what we listen to when we clean t he house its not our fault your bring them over on the days we clean" (its wednesdays they both dont work wednesdays) iv noticed when i call my little sister on the phone that she has old 90's radio Disney songs playing and iv asked her about why she doesnt put it on when my kids are over there she says "because its our cleaning music you always come when were on the last part of our playlists" then she said something so rude it wasnt even funny she said "you know what you would be saying the exact some thing if Jonny was playing mariachi music" and then she hangs up

they are the only people that can watch my kids on wednesdays i refuse to take them to a daycare i just dont know what to do anymore i know my sister is moody but saying something like that to me because i told her once that i didnt like her boyfriend hurts me if i push her away i wont be able to have anyone watch my kids

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always listened to the same music. We don't censor much at my house. My thing is, she is doing you a service, if you don't like her service...go elsewhere.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't think listening to different music can hurt anyone. Can they really understand the words? Are they singing it at home? It's probably just background noise. Do you like the way your sister watches them? If so, I'd leave it alone.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• free country and one's raunchy is another's awesome.

when that kid is about 12-16 they are going to be listening to all sorts of stuff...what's really the point of sheltering kids.
    Anonymous

• my husband loves really heavy metal and things like that but since having a baby he will not play them when she is around he will play like pop songs or listen to people like abba, the monkees and all the oldies cos they are softer and dont have swearing in them, i would try taking the kids over some other day and see what happens, but knowing that kids are there she should know better
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Haha, and if you are worried about those artists...wait until your discovers ICP or the like.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Kids don't understand the words, particularly not oblique references to things they know nothing about, like drugs and sex. Kids quite happily sing along with music they never think about at all, just like they quite happily recite things like the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance without considering the meaning of what they're saying (or even noticing when they're routinely garbling them without real words).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you absolutely must have them watch your children then I don't know what to say - but I would suggest either coming to an agreement about the music or making other arrangments.

For myself, I will select certain songs from various adult genres that I feel are free enough of suggestive, hostile or profane language. Whether they'll hear it someday, somewhere, from someone else is relevant... they wont hear it in the car on the way to preschool with Mommy nor from any other adult I've chosen to care for them.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 3:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think the choice is up to you.
    But I would put them in daycare if you can.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• trust me iv listened to all sorts of bands i still do i just dont play them around my kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's interesting that you would refuse to use a child care provider, who will most likely never play anything but children's music.

Do you pay them anything? You have a lot less control when you asking for a favor than you do when your paying for a service.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010