Please...

how can you help me not to yell at my 2 year old...I dont yell at the top of my lungs...only raise my voice...I also have an 8 month old and I wanna stop yelling...I dont know how...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Anger managment.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 3:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You just pay attention and when you're about to yell, stop yourself. Count. Bite your tongue. Pinch yourself. Do whatever you have to.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• take a deep breath or walk outside for a few seconds and walk back in and talk to your son normally.
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Decide that you (not the air temperature, or the colour of Barbara Walter's shirt, or your children) are in control of your behaviour... then choose your behaviour yourself.

It helps a lot to shut your mouth. It's hard to yell through sealed lips (hurts your nose, you should try it)... If you know you can't say anything in a pleasant, moderate tone, best not to start talking at all, eh?

Also, you may find it easier to avoid shouting a lot in frustration by not frustrating yourself. The usual source of parental frustration is unrealistic expectations of children. Most of them are obviously silly expectations, but they're frustrating when you really believe in them.. things like:

Children should do what they're told (by whom? what, all the time? even if they barely understand the language?)
    Children should remember what they were told (how? they grow memory skills at about 4)
    Children should know (why? how? born knowing?!?)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Remember that commercial? "If you want to get their attention just whisper"; there is a lot of truth to that! They get quieter themselves and get closer so they can hear you say it again! You just say what you want to say in a low calm voice; you'll get a lot further. Save the raised voice for life threatening actions! You'll need it! Two years old is a challenge any way you cut it; just count the windows or the stitches in your socks to gather your thoughts; and tell him quietly what you want him to do!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010