Is this too much TV?

I babysit a 1 and 3 year old along with my 2 year old at their house. We get here at 6:30 and they watch TV till 8 when we have breakfast. Then we turn it off until after lunch and they watch half and hour while getting ready for nap. Then after nap they watch it until everyone is awake which can be no time up to an hour. Then at 4 we can up and they watch it until the parents get home between 4:30 and 5.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe. Do you know how much TV they watch when you're not watching them? Are they actually watching, or is it on in the background while they're off doing stuff?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• my pediatrician agrees with me that it's silly to put limits on tv time. there are alot of shows that encourage physical activity and are very educational. i think it's more about what they're watching than how long. if it turns them into couch potatoes then you might want to try something different, but if they're like my kids and run around while watching then it's not a problem imo.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• thats dependent on each family. There really is not set number. Its whatever works for you guys. Nowadays TV and computers are a way of life and a lot of our time later in life will be spend in front of a screen of some sort.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My son and the 1 year old play more than they watch it but the 3 year old watches it more than he plays.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i daughter never sits still long enough to even watch tv so its nearly always off
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• As long as they are physically active during the day it's fine. Make sure you do artsy crafty things as well, play outside too. I think it sounds fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• yea its too much I feel cut down two hours. I dont think we should rely on tv unless were sick thiers soooooo much more for our kids than tv
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• DH usually has the tv on so when he is not around I make it a point not to have the TV with DD because I know she gets plenty of it with him, but even if I do turn it on while I'm there it is to keep her doing something while I have the oven on or I'm fixing dinner.

Also, I have noticed DD pays attention to it only for a couple minutes and then distracts herself with her toys. It's best to not make it a habit though just for the electric bill's sake.
    simpleesr23

Answer by simpleesr23 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• where i live in the country, there really isn't much to do for very long outside by yourself. We don't have many friends, so we're pretty much gonna be indoors, as such the tv or a computer is gonna be on somewhere. Kids' friends are at school and dont live around here.
    Anonymous

• Yes. AAP says non for kids under 2.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010