homework

okay moms I need help please! I'm having a bad time getting two of my boys to do their homework they are in 6th and 4th grades. My 4th grader simply cries and refuses to do his work on his own says its too hard, and I can't figure out how to get them to sit down and read. I just want them to
1-bring their work home
2-do it without whining
3-and stop saying the teacher forgot to give me my work
My oldest claims the teacher forgets to give it too him,so I told him its his responsibilty to go and get his homework if his teacher forgot.
My 4th grader is slow in math and reading but he still needs to practice his x's tables and he needs to read so he can get better I alwasy tell my kids they can do it,and try to encourage them. They are already grounded till the end of december because of some things they did so I honestly am drawing a blank. I alwasy try to let them unwind when they get home from school snack time and a little play time,I've also made them do it when they got home from school. I'm really just wanting them to be more responsible and the teachers keep telling them that its not the parents job to keep reminding them to do their work and that we shouldnt have to sit their and beg them to do their work. What works for your kids especially the ones who struggle in school?

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 3:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe give them stickers or soetning like that everytime they do good. Then when they get a certain amount give them a special treat. I used it when mine were younger, it worked well.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry, you seem to have confused your children with a programmable computer.

Being humiliated all day in class because your brain is not yet mature enough to do something is not kindly complemented by continuing the experience at home.

What was the last thing you did so poorly you blush even remembering it now? Would you be really happy if someone insisted you continue to do that, with a time limit and to be marked, when you're at home in your 'free' time?

I've known a number of people to take Alfie Kohn's research (The Homework Myth) into the school and refuse to allow homework to pollute their family life any further. Check it out.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would set up a reward system.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Linda you dont understand, my sons are being just plain lazy, I know what they are doing. And no they arent computers but they need to learn to do what they are told and stop slacking. Slacking never got adults anywhere in life and it certainly wont get my kids anywhere being lazy. I don't understand where you got the idea that they are being humiliated? If kids dont do their work at home it affects them at school,they need to do their studies at home so they can get better in math ,reading etc etc,I'm only trying to help my kids.
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My Dad had this same struggle with me when I was younger. I would sit them down and find out the root cause, and I'm not at that point to experience it , but I know most of the time when they whine, complain or simply don't do it is they want attention of some sort and just ask them what is the reason they don't want to do it, and if they want to improve they just have to keep working at it. Life is full of obstacles but being the caring Mom you are, you will figure out a way. Keep working at it, those are difficult ages!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010