Can we repeal NOW please?

Moments ago, in a press conference announcing the results of the Pentagon’s 10-month review of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen, Working Group co-chairs Defense Department General Counsel Jeh C. Johnson and Army Gen. Carter F. Ham, concluded that the risk of repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell to overall military effectiveness is low and Gates even urged Congress to act on repeal before the Courts overturn the policy. “Now that we have completed this review, I strongly urge the Senate to pass this legislation and send it to the president for signature before the end of this year,” he said. “It is only a matter of time before the federal courts are drawn once more into the fray, with the very real possibility that this change would be imposed immediately by judicial fiat – by far the most disruptive and damaging scenario I can imagine, and the one most hazardous to military morale, readiness and battlefield performance.”

Johnson added that resistance to repeal “is driven by misperceptions and stereotypes,” and predicted that lifting the ban would not result in a mass coming out of gay troops. “We believe that most would continue to be private and discreet about their personal lives,” he said in a prepared statement.

A summary of the results of the survey sent to 400,000 service members as outlined by the two chairmen:

- 70% of Service members said they would be able to “work together to get the job done” with a gay servicemember in their immediate units.

- 69% said they worked in a unit with a co-worker that they believed to be homosexual.

- 92% stated that their unit’s “ability to work together,” with a gay person was “very good, “good” or “neither good nor poor.” (89% for those in Army combat arms units, 84% for those in Marine combat arms units.)

- 30% overall (and 40–60% in the Marine Corps and in various combat arms specialties) expressed negative views or concerns about the impact of a repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yeah, why is it taking so long???
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• From your lips to reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I hope so! No reason to delay. I just got this on FB from the HRC a few minutes ago too.

Human Rights Campaign: The Pentagon Report is in. Repeal DADT Now!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Is that all you do all day is google things that are happening in politics? Got any questions about parenting or relationships maybe?
    Anonymous

• Really, this is the least worry of about 98% of the population.

Other people just don't give a damn.

If y'all could read between the lines, you'd see that the powers that be WILL NOT allow this to go through.
    They just won't.

Next...............................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'll get right on it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think as long as they allow for soldiers uncomfortable with their gay comrades seeing them naked to have seperate showers and what not. I know at my gym I will not shower in the gym because there are group of lesbians that will sit on benches and oogle the women coming in and out of the gym. I was hit on by two of the women when I did used to shower there. They said I had a tight ass and sexy breasts. It was very uncomfortable for me. My cousin who is gay says some of his gay friends admit they will sit and oogle guys in the locker room and then go masterbate in the bathroom stalls. Seems very wrong to me. I am for gay rights just think there needs to be something done to protect everyone.
    Anonymous

• anon, i belong to a few groups about tv shows, race, current events, Prince...if you care to stalk so much...let me know...Ill invite you to join

Whats more important than politics and current events??

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think as long as they allow for soldiers uncomfortable with their gay comrades seeing them naked to have seperate showers and what not

They dont do that now..why change it?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I was listening to something about this on NPR--just yesterday, in fact.  I was thinking about posting the story, but I'll just link it here, instead.

What I found interesting is that those who want to uphold DADT are the older service members--those who enlisted decades ago. For the most part, their younger servicemen and servicewomen do not hold those prejudices against gay and lesbian service men and women. Most don't care. The greatest number of servicemen who opposed having gays and lesbians serve in the military were in the Marines (which explains my dad's anti-gay sentiments--he's a Marine), where about 40% felt that they couldn't work/fight side-by-side with a gay person.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010