Does pretending to be happy really eventually trick yourself into being happy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ugh, I wish
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• In some situations.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 3:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No I don't think you can do that!

Answer by older at 3:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No you end up resentful realizing you have been living a lie...happiness comes from within if it is not there then you need to decide what it will take to make yourself happy from within
    Anonymous

• I don't think that's how it works but it is up to you to be happy and no one else but it can't be fake.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's not pretending to be happy, it's looking for the reasons you actually have to be happy, and then focus on those instead of all the things you lack or are entitled to and don't get to have, or whatever misery that is more commonly the thing people spend their time thinking about...

Being loving brings us the experience of love --and happiness. Being generous brings us the spirit of generosity --and happiness. Accepting reality brings peace --and happiness. Meeting challenges brings us a sense of accomplishment --and happiness.

It's doing the things that make people happy that makes people happy. And, not as The Secret suggests, as a conditional swap: if I do this then the universe will deliver x to me... It's much closer to home than that: when you do the things that make people happy, you're creating a positive space in your head, which brings happiness --not wealth, fame, power or stuff.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• no
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's not about pretending to be happy. It's about choosing to be happy in whatever circumstances one finds herself. And yes, it does work. Our emotions follow our thinking, so if we think about the positive things in our lives and appreciate those, we will be much happier than if we choose to think on all the negative things that we all must deal with in our lives. There is a wonderful book entitled HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE by Drs. Minreth and Myers. I read it many, many years ago and implemented the ideas presented therein, and I have been a much happier person ever since I did that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They say it does ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• According to my Human Resource training, it does....(I just need to practice what I preach!)
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010