Age for rectal temperatures

What age did you all stop taking rectal temperatures? My son just turned 3 and doesn't object to them. I've always read that they are more accurate so up until this point I've figured he doesn't mind and I don't mind, so why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Health

• at any age, as long as they don't mind it. it is the best place to get a temp. my son wouldn't stick the thermometer under his tongue till he was 5, so he had it done rectally. once they understand why they have to put the thermometer under their tongue and not bite it, then they need it rectally. those forehead scanners aren't worth t heir money! i have bought 3 and all 3 give me different temps that vary by 1-3degrees!
    armywife117

Answer by armywife117 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Never did it. Yes, it's more accurate, but so is stabbing a meat thermometer into their livers --how accurate does it need to be?!?

One of the risks of rectal temps is bowel rupture --something that is not possible to do with an underarm, or ear temp. Since a bowel rupture is automatically lethal, maybe it's not really worth the .1% of a degree of 'accuracy' to be worth the risk, eh?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Ya thats a bit old I think
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• LOL..wow. I stopped at 2 or 1.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I only took it that way with my oldest. My younger 2 have never had that. I either did the ear or under the arm. I didn't even know they still made them!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have never used a rectal thermometer on my children.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I haven't taken my sons temp since he was an infant. He's 4. I can just feel him and tell if he's got a fever. I really don't need to know the degree, regardless of what it is i'm gonna give him some motrin lol. Whats the point really. Between him and my oldest and my nieces and nephews I can pretty much guess within a couple points of a degree what it is just by feeling their heads and belly. If i felt them abnormally burning hot i would take it to see if we needed an ER visit or something but thats never happened.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 7:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have NEVER taken my sons temp rectally. I have done underarm and undertongue. When he was an infant, I had an ear thermometer and it worked wonders. But, 3 years old is way too old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• use vaseline on it, you just don't stab it in there and its literally 1/4 that needs to go in, so when you have a rectal exam by the dr, he knows how far to put his finger in there. there are also 3 second thermometers that are made for rectal and are flexible. if it was hard to do it, they would give a class on it. i would be more worried about using q-tips to clean your kids ears than a re. thermometer.
    armywife117

Answer by armywife117 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010