Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

any lawyers or anyone can help me?

my husband is trying to adopt my boys but the father contested. we are going to a pre trail hearing but .. we don't have a lawyer. so I was wondering if there is anyone out there to help us. NOT ASKING FOR FREE SERVICES!! just someone to answer a few questions in "court" wording. we have to bring some stuff with us but not really sure what that stuff is, in court talk.


Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Adoption

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I have asked questions about custody too, I have custody of my dd and got it with out a lawyer. People say I need one, well I don't have the money, I can get a lawyer or feed and dress my daughter. Sorry I just hate when people say get one even if you can't afford it

    Answer by JLS2388 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I am not a lawyer, I am going to school to be a paralegal and I have been through the family court system myself. Does your ex owe back child support? If he does add up how much exactly and contact him, not in writing, and tell him how much he will have to pay you if he contests the adoption. If he allows the adoption, he won't have to pay any of it. This may be and insentive for him not to contest it.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • he owes $12,000

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Well tell him if he wont' let you husband adopt them then he will pay every cent he owes, this might change his mind, it didn't with mine but he only owes $5000

    Answer by JLS2388 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • You're going to need an attorney.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Is there any reason why the court might find him to be an unfit parent? If there is really nothing wrong with him, maybe he shouldn't be forced to give up his parental rights. Did you post earlier about how he pretty much abandoned the kids? That is something you'll want to mention. I would really get a lawyer. You may not be able to afford it, but these are your kids.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I have sole legal and physical custody already awarded it in 2004. He has NO visition. he has been in jail 27+ times (abuse at least 5 times)

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • The father refused to sign his rights over.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN