How should I punish my child for eating DF's and my candy bars?

DF bought some candy bars for the two of us and put them in our room. We didn't eat them right away and when he went to get one a few days ago he noticed that some were missing. Wrappers were found in both of the boys rooms but that doesn't mean that both boys took them...Alex has been known to hide things in Miguel's room in the past. When DF went to get the last candy bar last night it was missing and he yelled at both boys about it. Miguel denied taking the candy bar and Alex didn't say a word. Well DF came home from work today still all pissed off about the candy bar and started yelling at Miguel about it again...Alex is still at school. I decided to look in Alex's room for the wrapper and when I lifted up the blanket the wrapper was laying right there on his bed.

Joyzap2003

Asked by Joyzap2003 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• REALLY? They are kids being kids. If you put it up where they can't find it this might not happen.
    Anonymous

• OMG! its just a damn candybar! he's acting like the kid stole national secret plans!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thats not a huge crime, sounds like a kid to me... punishment should fit the crime.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You seriously want to PUNISH a kid for eating candy bars that YOU left within their reach? Maybe talk them about it, but PUNISH? That's a bit ridiculous and cruel.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't think this deserves any kind of punishment, kids love candy and saw it and ate, end of story, do you have food in your house that only belongs to a particular person? or is your food shared by all?

Answer by older at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Do they even get candy? Why the hell are you hiding candy? The fact that you hid it is what makes it seem like such a treasure to steal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Its a freaking candy bar... It isn't going to kill anyone! Just tell your boys that they are not allowed to touch things that don't belong to them it isn't nice and they wouldn't like it if you took some of there stuff without asking..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Dependong on the age they need to understand that stealing is wrong. If they feel that they can do that with you what is going to stop them from doing to other people. I would ground them for the night, because not only did he steal but he lied about it too. Take everything out of his room and only give it back when he starts to respect other peoples things.
    DanyielJ

Answer by DanyielJ at 4:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's selfish that your DF didn't think about your kids when buying candy bars.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• IF your bedroom is a "forbidden zone" then they should be punished. Otherwise - you have to tell them not to eat it. I'd quit hiding the candy and instead have a "stash" of something you approve of for them to have and keep yours better hidden....like a tampon box.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010