why even offer?

I have babysat some of my friends children but when it comes time for someone to watch my kids they always have an excuse... Why even offer if you don't want to do it, freaking hell is it so hard to be honest about stuff. Shh I have a friend who I will say I have an appointment to go to and don't even mention my children being baby sat cause they are going to grandma's house . They instantly say Oh my kids are so sick, oh I wish I could watch them for you but we have a fever or my favorite we were up all night cause the kids are sick. SHIt don't lie just say you can't do it is all..

I offer to watch my friends kids cause I know how hard it is for parents to get alone time and to get sitters when they need it. I have baby sat almost all of my friends kids yet no one will take mine for an hour. My kids are well behaved and are shy but they listen and do waht you ask them to do..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I would stop offering. Plain as that.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would let them know it is a two way street. Don't help me, I won't help you.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• why offer in the first place if you never intended on helping out a friends?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Got to agree with that... stop offering to babysit for people who don't return the gesture.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 4:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• People ALWAYS do that. I've had countless people tell me that about my daughter. "Oh she's so sweet, I wouldn't mind just keeping her....if you ever have something to do, I'd be happy to watch her for you." And then it never happens. there's always an excuse. The same thing happens with playdates. I have a few friends with children around the same age as my daughter, who talk and talk about how awesome it would be to meet up and hang out so they can play, etc...all SAHMs like myself...and it never happens. There's always an excuse for why it's never a good day.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My MIL always offers to take my son but when we try to actually do it it always falls through and she makes it sound like we are trying to guilt her into it. In seven years she has taken him once in an extreme emergency. Offered hundreds of times though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I hate it when people say they are going to do something and then never do it. Sounds like they are taking advantage of you. Maybe it's time to start making up your own excuses when they need help. Who needs friends you can't count on?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Have you ever thought that you offer help so you will get help back? All of us do in one form or another. You will eventually find a give and take relationship. They are rare and far between I will admit. I would love to sit for your babies, they sound wonderful.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2010