whats wrong with my pea soup?

it's been 2 hrs and the peas are still hard. i have it in the crock pot. i had it set on low first then switched to high. i cut away what ham i could from the bone and stuck the rest with all the ingrediants. how long should it take for the peas to get mushy? they were split peas from walmart. as you can tell i'm not much of a cook.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I usually use the soaking method before cooking them. Here's what I do with split peas. It helps them to cook faster. I usually rinse the peas and take out the ones that are not green or yellowish. Then I add enough water in a pot to cover them and let them boil for at least five minutes. After that, you let them sit for an hour without the flame on underneath them. When you are ready to add them to your soup, which I usually have a left over ham bone I cook down first, I then add the split peas to that and allow them to cook further which will soften them in about an hour and half or two depending upon how high a flame you have on under the pot. I like to slow cook my pea soup for maximum flavor. Additionally, if you see the water level in your soup dwindling, it is a good idea to add more water since the split peas need water to cook properly too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• In a crock pot it will tak 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Were they frozen peas or uncooked, raw peas?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• a bag of dried peas will take several hours to hydrate and become soft in a crock pot... I have only ever boiled it and even then it takes an hour or so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Dried peas take a really long time to soften. You should be able to leave it in the crock pot on high and it will take several hours. Or put the soup in a big pot on the stove and boil it, it will still take a while but not as long as if you leave it in the crock pot. In the future you can soak the beans overnight or follow Mocha Mom's advice above so that you can give the peas a head start on cooking.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Did you add salt to the crock pot? That can make peas difficult to soften.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• no i didn't add salt. i just assumed when i read the recipe online that in a crock pot it would take longer rather then the stove and they said 2 hrs. duh! thanks ladies. next time i'll know better.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• throwing upits pea soup thats whats wrong

Anonymous