Have you ever went against your family to be with someone?? If so how did it turn out??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 4:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes...it was terrible....my family saw something in him that I didn't and by the time I saw it, it was too late...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Worst thing I ever did. I ended up in a abusive relationship and with not enough self-esteem to get out.
    If you trust you parents/family in every other way, why not for this?
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We've been married for 34.5 years now.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 4:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes and it put me in an awkward situation unfortunately.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes. We have now been married for over 11 years, and my family realized pretty quickly after we were married that I was right and they were wrong.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yeah. We broke up within a year.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• tsk tskno!! my family knows their boundaries. my relationship is mine period. i am the one who has to sleep with him not u. it is an unspoken rule. i usually keep the details of my relationship private anyway. i only discuss it with my big sis and she keeps it to herself. i think when family gets too involved it gets messy. fortunately i didnt have to learn it the hard way; but i have heard some horror stories.

maya123

Answer by maya123 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yep, my parents would let me date him because he was black. After 3 months of sneaking around they finally allowed it. We dated for 3 years. Then broke up.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Oh yes. My family HATED my husband, and were completely against us getting married. My dad showed up in the middle of our wedding, stayed for 15 minutes, and left. They barely spoke to us for the first 3 years of our marriage. Now we've been married 13 years, and my parents love my husband. They finally actually got to know him.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes, they did not think that my husband was the best idea for me. I was 18 and he was 26 when we met, he has 4 kids from previous relationships (now they are ages 23-21). But we have been together for 15 years and married for 13, my mom loves him now. My dad never came around, but no big loss there.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010