do u think parents should help their kids transition into college after high school (financially) or after high school the parents job is done?

graduatei have a friend who's son graduated from high school and my friend said thats it! my job is done! he thinks that after graduating high school he is not required to help his boys. i think it is a parents responsibility to help the kid transition into the real world imo. an 18 year old kid has no money or life experience to do it on their own. i also think that from the time the child was born there should have been a little nest egg for the child's college education. that doesn't mean the parent has to pay 100% of every thing but at least help with the transition. what do u think?

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• A parents job is never done. I would want them to get a part time job and help though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I believe I should always be there to help with anything that comes along. And yes, the transition to college even financial is part of that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree a parents job is never done. I am 36 years old and I still need my parents. My DD has been sick for the past couple of months and without my parents I would be lost. I understand that you may want to teach them responsibility, although I do not think you should just send them into the world without any help.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I will always be there for my DD and I will pay for college as much as I can - if I can I will 100% with stipulations. My mom still helps me with money if I need help the only difference is I help her too now.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 4:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We always felt we wanted our kids to go to college and it was our responsibility to do that. They always had a part time job in high school and it was understood that most of that money was for college. They did both go to college and had part time jobs each year while going.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• After high school there is a fine line between shielding form real life, hindering maturity and self growth and offering some help to get them pointed int he right direction. Once in college a child should be responsible for the majority of there expenses (with in reason- obviously some majors would not allow a lot of work time) I have a friend who's som lives on campus and she pays his rent, food, school, books, car insurance and even bought him a new 700 computer because he is still in school. Well, he only goes to class 4 days a week!?
    Anonymous

• Help them transition is one thing...pay for everything is another... They do have to grow up at some point and should have some knowledge of how to handle their own finances.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• With the availability of student grants, scholarships, and loans, I can see why some parents don't pay for college. My parent's couldn't afford to pay for my college but they did help in other ways. They helped with books, a place to live, food to eat, etc. I would never kick my son out of the house immediately after high school and say "My job is done". I would help him as much as he helps himself but I am not going to be one of those parents that comes with the child to college orientation and the mom speaks for him when the orientation leader asks for his/her name. (I use to be an orientation leader at my college and this happened a lot!)

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think they should have been working on that stuff long before the kid turned 18 so when they did they were pretty much ready. My parents did start me out when I went off to college. My dad gave me $700 to start a checking account. But that was it. Other than paying my tuition the first semester I was on my own. I got a job, paid my own bills, got a loan for the rest of the years I was in school. I occasionally called home asking for money when things were tight (mostly after I moved into an apartment and was only making $200/month at my job) and my dad would send any if he had it but I didn't rely on him and HATED having to ask. I knew so many kids in college that just expected their parents to pay for it all. They didn't have jobs, when they ran out of money their parents gave them more, etc. They didn't care, it wasn't theirs and they learned nothing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree with you, but parenting never stops at any age, we just go through different phases. I sent all three of mine with scholarships won on their own merits and helped each of them financially throughout school, 4 years each. They never misused the money I sent and taught them to budget themselves to make it last the semester. No, mine never had jobs, but they paid me back graduating with honors!!!!!! straight A students with all three being in the top 5% of their class....

Answer by older at 7:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010